The most memorable characters in Elliot Perlman’s nine invigorating stories in The Reasons I Won’t Be Coming are passionate, articulate monologuists who can’t stop explaining themselves to people from their pasts. In the melancholy ”Hong Kong Fir Doctrine,” a law professor pours out his heart to the married woman who broke off their affair and whom he still adores. Another man holds a mental conversation with an ex-girlfriend as he lies in bed after his first night with a new lover in ”Good Morning, Again,” a deeply odd, sad little love story. Not every tale shows this kind of originality, but all are enlivened by Perlman’s intelligence, verbal energy, and mischievous wit.
The Reasons I Won't Be Coming The most memorable characters in Elliot Perlman's nine invigorating stories in The Reasons I Won't Be Coming are passionate,...The Reasons I Won't Be ComingFictionElliot Perlman The most memorable characters in Elliot Perlman's nine invigorating stories in The Reasons I Won't Be Coming are passionate,...2005-11-25Riverhead
Genre: Fiction; Author: Elliot Perlman; Publisher: Riverhead
Posted November 25 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Chelsea Handler roasts Ann Coulter after last-minute cancellation
- WATCH: 'Empire' star Kaitlin Doubleday eulogizes Rhonda Lyon
- Angelina Jolie's divorce team working with fixer who inspired 'Scandal'
- Luke Cage and Jessica Jones to team up in 'Marvel Heroes''
- Beyoncé pays tribute to Jay Z, Blue Ivy in Ivy Park video
- Ben Affleck and Matt Damon fight over who Tom Brady loves more
- Nate Parker addresses 1999 rape case in '60 Minutes' preview