The most memorable characters in Elliot Perlman’s nine invigorating stories in The Reasons I Won’t Be Coming are passionate, articulate monologuists who can’t stop explaining themselves to people from their pasts. In the melancholy ”Hong Kong Fir Doctrine,” a law professor pours out his heart to the married woman who broke off their affair and whom he still adores. Another man holds a mental conversation with an ex-girlfriend as he lies in bed after his first night with a new lover in ”Good Morning, Again,” a deeply odd, sad little love story. Not every tale shows this kind of originality, but all are enlivened by Perlman’s intelligence, verbal energy, and mischievous wit.
The Reasons I Won't Be Coming The most memorable characters in Elliot Perlman's nine invigorating stories in The Reasons I Won't Be Coming are passionate,...The Reasons I Won't Be ComingFictionElliot Perlman The most memorable characters in Elliot Perlman's nine invigorating stories in The Reasons I Won't Be Coming are passionate,...2005-11-25Riverhead
Genre: Fiction; Author: Elliot Perlman; Publisher: Riverhead
Posted November 25 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Watch Kelly Clarkson adorably forget the lyrics to her songs
- Katy Perry reveals which line of her DNC speech Orlando Bloom wrote
- Chandra Levy miniseries in works at TNT
- Nick Jonas, Demi Lovato send fans on scavenger hunt for concert tickets
- 'Pokémon Go' nests are reportedly spawning different Pokémon
- Disney changes 'Avengers: Infinity War Part 1' title
- Constance Wu says Matt Damon's 'Great Wall' perpetuates 'racist myth'