The most memorable characters in Elliot Perlman’s nine invigorating stories in The Reasons I Won’t Be Coming are passionate, articulate monologuists who can’t stop explaining themselves to people from their pasts. In the melancholy ”Hong Kong Fir Doctrine,” a law professor pours out his heart to the married woman who broke off their affair and whom he still adores. Another man holds a mental conversation with an ex-girlfriend as he lies in bed after his first night with a new lover in ”Good Morning, Again,” a deeply odd, sad little love story. Not every tale shows this kind of originality, but all are enlivened by Perlman’s intelligence, verbal energy, and mischievous wit.
The Reasons I Won't Be Coming The most memorable characters in Elliot Perlman's nine invigorating stories in The Reasons I Won't Be Coming are passionate,...The Reasons I Won't Be ComingFictionElliot Perlman The most memorable characters in Elliot Perlman's nine invigorating stories in The Reasons I Won't Be Coming are passionate,...2005-11-25Riverhead
Genre: Fiction; Author: Elliot Perlman; Publisher: Riverhead
Posted November 25 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Rihanna teases VMAs performance with abstract art video
- Here's how they make those movie sex scenes so sexy
- Robert Gant talks romancing Debbie Gibson in 'Summer of Dreams'
- 'Southside With You' reviews: What critics are saying
- 'Rogue One' trailer gets 'Friends' treatment in mash-up video
- Drake sent Rihanna a message... on a billboard
- Twitter challenges users to #MakeASongTitleLonger