The most memorable characters in Elliot Perlman’s nine invigorating stories in The Reasons I Won’t Be Coming are passionate, articulate monologuists who can’t stop explaining themselves to people from their pasts. In the melancholy ”Hong Kong Fir Doctrine,” a law professor pours out his heart to the married woman who broke off their affair and whom he still adores. Another man holds a mental conversation with an ex-girlfriend as he lies in bed after his first night with a new lover in ”Good Morning, Again,” a deeply odd, sad little love story. Not every tale shows this kind of originality, but all are enlivened by Perlman’s intelligence, verbal energy, and mischievous wit.
The Reasons I Won't Be Coming The most memorable characters in Elliot Perlman's nine invigorating stories in The Reasons I Won't Be Coming are passionate,...The Reasons I Won't Be ComingFictionElliot Perlman The most memorable characters in Elliot Perlman's nine invigorating stories in The Reasons I Won't Be Coming are passionate,...2005-11-25Riverhead
Genre: Fiction; Author: Elliot Perlman; Publisher: Riverhead
Posted November 25 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Outlander' is becoming a war story, explains showrunner
- James Bond: Sam Mendes thinks 'it's time for somebody else' to direct
- Tom Hardy chats with Princes William and Harry at charity polo tournament
- 'Mother, May I Sleep With Danger?' trailer: James Franco's re-'vamp'
- Melissa McCarthy to 'Ghostbusters' haters: 'I hope they find a friend'
- Zac Efron shares 'High School Musical' throwback cast photo
- What is Essex Corp? 'X-Men: Apocalypse' post-credits scene explained
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot
- Carpool Karaoke: James Corden's Most-Watched Videos
- The Most Famous Swimsuit Scenes From TV and Movies
- See All of Entertainment Weekly's X-Men Covers