The most memorable characters in Elliot Perlman’s nine invigorating stories in The Reasons I Won’t Be Coming are passionate, articulate monologuists who can’t stop explaining themselves to people from their pasts. In the melancholy ”Hong Kong Fir Doctrine,” a law professor pours out his heart to the married woman who broke off their affair and whom he still adores. Another man holds a mental conversation with an ex-girlfriend as he lies in bed after his first night with a new lover in ”Good Morning, Again,” a deeply odd, sad little love story. Not every tale shows this kind of originality, but all are enlivened by Perlman’s intelligence, verbal energy, and mischievous wit.
The Reasons I Won't Be Coming The most memorable characters in Elliot Perlman's nine invigorating stories in The Reasons I Won't Be Coming are passionate,...The Reasons I Won't Be ComingFictionElliot Perlman The most memorable characters in Elliot Perlman's nine invigorating stories in The Reasons I Won't Be Coming are passionate,...2005-11-25Riverhead
Genre: Fiction; Author: Elliot Perlman; Publisher: Riverhead
Posted November 25 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Matt LeBlanc on beginning 'Man With a Plan' and ending 'Episodes'
- Oscar frontrunners set to gather at EW PopFest
- Tom Hanks still remembers the rap from 'Big'
- 'Walking Dead' quiz: How well do you know dead characters' last lines?
- Sean Penn on the political relevance of 'Bob Honey Who Just Do Stuff'
- Margot Robbie in talks to join 'Peter Rabbit' movie
- Why 'The Conjuring' is the perfect Halloween movie