The subtitle: Unearthing the History of Demolition. How boring does that sound? But Rubble is a wonderfully illuminating account of the brute task of knocking down buildings. Comprehensive in scope but mercifully short at a speedy 303 pages, Rubble jumps from the demolition of London homes to thwart the Great Fire of 1666 to the World Trade Center disaster. In between, Jeff Byles recounts the clearing of swaths of Paris in the mid-1800s to make way for its now famous boulevards and the lamentable felling of New York City’s Penn Station in 1963. Ever mindful of the human element, he also profiles the Maryland-based Loizeaux family, ”the Flying Wallendas of tearing down buildings,” whose PR-minded matriarch popularized the word implosion. Byles, who describes his book as an ”unbildungsroman — a narrative of growth…but one writ backward,” has built a fabulous work from centuries of tearing down.
Rubble The subtitle: Unearthing the History of Demolition. How boring does that sound? But Rubble is a wonderfully illuminating account of...RubbleNonfictionJeff Byles The subtitle: Unearthing the History of Demolition. How boring does that sound? But Rubble is a wonderfully illuminating account of...2005-11-25Harmony Books
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Jeff Byles; Publisher: Harmony Books
Posted November 25 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!