Based on Jacques Offenbach’s operatic adaptation of E.T.A. Hoffmann’s macabre stories, Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger’s hand-tooled fantasia The Tales of Hoffmann is a dazzling technical showcase, from its rich, sensuous Technicolor to its copious special effects, which are no less effective for their theatrical origins. When Moira Shearer’s whirling clockwork figurine is dismembered bit by bit, being able to see her ”missing” limbs cloaked in black velvet only heightens the complicity; it’s a magic trick requiring audience participation. A logical distillation of Powell and Pressburger’s Red Shoes, Tales’ splendid excess sometimes tilts toward gaudiness. What’s nectar to some is syrup to others, an overcooked reduction that can be too thick to swallow. EXTRAS Think you’re too macho for Tales? Directors Martin Scorsese — who cops to the film’s influence on Taxi Driver — and George A. Romero — who swiped the dismembered body bit for Creepshow — beg to differ. Production designer Hein Heckroth’s sketches (which are art in their own right) are included on the disc, as well as Powell’s Sorcerer’s Apprentice, a balletic short subject from 1956 with nary a dancing bucket in sight. But where are the 11 minutes cut from Tales before its release?
The Tales of Hoffmann Based on Jacques Offenbach's operatic adaptation of E.T.A. Hoffmann's macabre stories, Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger's hand-tooled fantasia ...The Tales of HoffmannMusicalJacques OffenbachUnrated Based on Jacques Offenbach's operatic adaptation of E.T.A. Hoffmann's macabre stories, Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger's hand-tooled fantasia ...2005-11-25Robert Helpmann
Genre: Musical; Starring: Moira Shearer, Robert Helpmann; Director: Michael Powell; Author: Jacques Offenbach; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted November 25 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Barack Obama slams Donald Trump at DNC: 'We don’t look to be ruled'
- 'Con Man': Alan Tudyk and Nathan Fillion want a ‘Spectrum’ movie
- See President Obama's DNC intro video, narrated by Bryan Cranston
- Michael Keaton on 'Beetlejuice' sequel: 'It's possible that ship has sailed'
- 'Another Period' guest blog: Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on latest episode
- 'Barely Famous': Sara, Erin Foster on celebrity stalkers, TV industry
- Lenny Kravitz asks to 'Let Love Rule' for DNC performance
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels