DVD sales may be slowing, but at least one under-the-radar video niche is actually taking off: the unauthorized DVD music biography. A home-video version of Behind the Music-style documentaries, unauthorized DVD bios are made quickly and cheaply to piggyback on more famous Hollywood releases. Prime example: On Nov. 15, Highland Entertainment released The Unauthorized Biography of Johnny Cash, well-timed to cash in on the release of Walk the Line three days later. Granted, the ”unauthorized” tag lends these titles a somewhat shady aura, which means mainstream distributors pretty much steer clear. But that hasn’t deterred buyers: 2004’s Eminem: AKA and 2002’s Tupac Shakur: Thug Angel have each sold more than 100,000 copies — and this despite a lack of hit songs or extensive artist footage (there is naturally zero cooperation from the musicians or their labels). To wit: The recently released DVD 50 Cent: Refuse 2 Die doesn’t feature, say, ”In Da Club” or interviews with Fitty, although his grandfather and tangential figures appear as talking heads. Still, there’s a plus side to working without the artist’s approval, says the disc’s director, Mike Corbera: ”I’m giving fans the straight dope.”
Posted November 25 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- How the novel 'Star Wars: Aftermath' sets up 'The Force Awakens'
- The lawsuit over 'Mr. Holmes' has been settled, attorney says
- Kristen Bell’s gift to Dax Shepard makes us all miss 'Parenthood'
- Casting Net: Jason Momoa to star in lumberjack thriller Braven
- Brad Paisley gets ready for football season with 'Country Nation' video
- Selena Gomez is officially in 'Neighbors 2'
- Interracial family comedy in the works at NBC, from Parks and Recreation pair
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!