DVD sales may be slowing, but at least one under-the-radar video niche is actually taking off: the unauthorized DVD music biography. A home-video version of Behind the Music-style documentaries, unauthorized DVD bios are made quickly and cheaply to piggyback on more famous Hollywood releases. Prime example: On Nov. 15, Highland Entertainment released The Unauthorized Biography of Johnny Cash, well-timed to cash in on the release of Walk the Line three days later. Granted, the ”unauthorized” tag lends these titles a somewhat shady aura, which means mainstream distributors pretty much steer clear. But that hasn’t deterred buyers: 2004’s Eminem: AKA and 2002’s Tupac Shakur: Thug Angel have each sold more than 100,000 copies — and this despite a lack of hit songs or extensive artist footage (there is naturally zero cooperation from the musicians or their labels). To wit: The recently released DVD 50 Cent: Refuse 2 Die doesn’t feature, say, ”In Da Club” or interviews with Fitty, although his grandfather and tangential figures appear as talking heads. Still, there’s a plus side to working without the artist’s approval, says the disc’s director, Mike Corbera: ”I’m giving fans the straight dope.”
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'Inside Out' clip: Joy has a special job for Sadness on the first day at a new school
- Host Luke Bryan on the ACM Awards' big stage: 'Certain people just really perform when the moment comes'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!