A zesty, enjoyable big-canvas biography that’s just compelling enough to make you wish it had been more artful. As Johnny Cash, Joaquin Phoenix gets that famous gravity, but when the film turns to how he spent years courting, loving, yet never winning June Carter (Reese Witherspoon), it’s on shakier ground, since June’s romantic reticence isn’t fully filled in.
Genre: Biography, Drama; Starring: Joaquin Phoenix, Reese Witherspoon, Robert Patrick; Director: James Mangold; Author: Gill Dennis, James Mangold; Release Date Wide: 11/18/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 136; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Fox 2000 Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More