A zesty, enjoyable big-canvas biography that’s just compelling enough to make you wish it had been more artful. As Johnny Cash, Joaquin Phoenix gets that famous gravity, but when the film turns to how he spent years courting, loving, yet never winning June Carter (Reese Witherspoon), it’s on shakier ground, since June’s romantic reticence isn’t fully filled in.
Genre: Biography, Drama; Starring: Joaquin Phoenix, Reese Witherspoon, Robert Patrick; Director: James Mangold; Author: Gill Dennis, James Mangold; Release Date Wide: 11/18/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 136; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Fox 2000 Pictures
Posted November 25 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Meek Mill hits back at Drake with diss track 'Wanna Know'
- 'Graceland' postmortem: Is Paige in over her head?
- 'Wet Hot' creators provide teases for 40 characters in the prequel
- Patricia Arquette to voice witch in 'Troll: The Rise of Harry Potter Jr.'
- Caitlyn Jenner practices her 'feminine voice' in 'I Am Cait' clip
- Dwayne Johnson on Hulk Hogan's racist rant: 'We've all talked trash'
- Jared Padalecki posted his first-ever #TBT: 13 more 'Supernatural' throwbacks
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!