A zesty, enjoyable big-canvas biography that’s just compelling enough to make you wish it had been more artful. As Johnny Cash, Joaquin Phoenix gets that famous gravity, but when the film turns to how he spent years courting, loving, yet never winning June Carter (Reese Witherspoon), it’s on shakier ground, since June’s romantic reticence isn’t fully filled in.
Genre: Biography, Drama; Starring: Joaquin Phoenix, Reese Witherspoon, Robert Patrick; Director: James Mangold; Author: Gill Dennis, James Mangold; Release Date Wide: 11/18/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 136; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Fox 2000 Pictures
Posted November 25 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- David Letterman's famous studio marquee has been taken down
- Bill Hader, Fred Armisen and Seth Meyers on what to expect from 'Documentary Now!'
- Adele and Florence Welch spotted at Fleetwood Mac's London performance
- Trevor Noah's 'Daily Show': Sept. 28
- 'Young & Hungry' star Emily Osment teases new romance for Gabby
- These #ClickBaitAMovie tweets will shock you
- Triumph the Insult Comic Dog needles Steve Buscemi in new 'Park Bench' season 2 clip