A zesty, enjoyable big-canvas biography that’s just compelling enough to make you wish it had been more artful. As Johnny Cash, Joaquin Phoenix gets that famous gravity, but when the film turns to how he spent years courting, loving, yet never winning June Carter (Reese Witherspoon), it’s on shakier ground, since June’s romantic reticence isn’t fully filled in.
Genre: Biography, Drama; Starring: Joaquin Phoenix, Reese Witherspoon, Robert Patrick; Director: James Mangold; Author: Gill Dennis, James Mangold; Release Date Wide: 11/18/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 136; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Fox 2000 Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller, Kate & Kate and More!