A zesty, enjoyable big-canvas biography that’s just compelling enough to make you wish it had been more artful. As Johnny Cash, Joaquin Phoenix gets that famous gravity, but when the film turns to how he spent years courting, loving, yet never winning June Carter (Reese Witherspoon), it’s on shakier ground, since June’s romantic reticence isn’t fully filled in.
Genre: Biography, Drama; Starring: Joaquin Phoenix, Reese Witherspoon, Robert Patrick; Director: James Mangold; Author: Gill Dennis, James Mangold; Release Date Wide: 11/18/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 136; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Fox 2000 Pictures
Posted November 25 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Nicolas Cage to star in parental thriller 'Mom and Dad'
- 'The Originals' boss on the casting change you may have missed
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on his acerbic antihero 'Deadpool'
- Universal wins film rights for 'Gone Girl' author's ghost story 'The Grownup'
- Julie's Diary: 'Vampire Diaries' boss breaks down Damon's big fight scene
- Inside Disneyland's magical Dream Suite
- Oscars 2016: Michael B. Jordan, Daisy Ridley, Cate Blanchett join presenters