I can still remember the first time I heard Lynyrd Skynyrd’s Southern rock fable “Freebird.” Way back in 1994. Sean Penn’s future-wife was contemplating suicide from a hotel ledge. So what if it happened at a 4:30 matinee of Forrest Gump – it still meant something to me! And so does the announcement that Skynyrd – along with heavy metalists Black Sabbath (left – that’s Ozzy in the red shirt), jazz legend Miles Davis, New Wave pioneers Blondie, and the Queen-saving Sex Pistols – will be part of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s class of 2006. Ah, good times. (Raises lighter.)
Posted November 28 2005 — 8:21 PM EST
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!