I can still remember the first time I heard Lynyrd Skynyrd’s Southern rock fable “Freebird.” Way back in 1994. Sean Penn’s future-wife was contemplating suicide from a hotel ledge. So what if it happened at a 4:30 matinee of Forrest Gump – it still meant something to me! And so does the announcement that Skynyrd – along with heavy metalists Black Sabbath (left – that’s Ozzy in the red shirt), jazz legend Miles Davis, New Wave pioneers Blondie, and the Queen-saving Sex Pistols – will be part of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s class of 2006. Ah, good times. (Raises lighter.)
Posted November 28 2005 — 8:21 PM EST
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!