I can still remember the first time I heard Lynyrd Skynyrd’s Southern rock fable “Freebird.” Way back in 1994. Sean Penn’s future-wife was contemplating suicide from a hotel ledge. So what if it happened at a 4:30 matinee of Forrest Gump – it still meant something to me! And so does the announcement that Skynyrd – along with heavy metalists Black Sabbath (left – that’s Ozzy in the red shirt), jazz legend Miles Davis, New Wave pioneers Blondie, and the Queen-saving Sex Pistols – will be part of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s class of 2006. Ah, good times. (Raises lighter.)
Posted November 28 2005 — 8:21 PM EST
- Oscars 2016: Michael B. Jordan, Daisy Ridley, Cate Blanchett join presenters
- Miramax, Roadside in talks to distribute Obama romance movie 'Southside With You'
- Kanye West does not even pretend to enjoy being in 'SNL' promos
- Hannibal Buress joins Dwayne Johnson in 'Baywatch'
- 'The X-Files': Mulder and Scully meet their doppelgängers in this exclusive clip
- Andrew Dice Clay talks 'Vinyl': 'Record company guys were out of their f---ing minds!'
- 'Dawson's Creek' revival not likely, says Katie Holmes