I can still remember the first time I heard Lynyrd Skynyrd’s Southern rock fable “Freebird.” Way back in 1994. Sean Penn’s future-wife was contemplating suicide from a hotel ledge. So what if it happened at a 4:30 matinee of Forrest Gump – it still meant something to me! And so does the announcement that Skynyrd – along with heavy metalists Black Sabbath (left – that’s Ozzy in the red shirt), jazz legend Miles Davis, New Wave pioneers Blondie, and the Queen-saving Sex Pistols – will be part of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s class of 2006. Ah, good times. (Raises lighter.)
Posted November 28 2005 — 8:21 PM EST
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- Bubba Watson says he's removing Confederate flag from his 'Dukes of Hazzard' car
- Taylor Swift, Jimmy Fallon, more celebs spend July 4 on Instagram, Twitter
- 'Crimson Peak' exclusive: Mia Wasikowska flees the darkness in Guillermo del Toro's Gothic chiller
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!