A genially cruddy B movie can sometimes go places — sort of — that bigger movies won’t. Usher, the teen idol who’s like a black version of Justin Timberlake’s white version of a Michael Jackson knockoff, struts through In the Mix as a chick magnet of a DJ who is forced to play bodyguard to a mobster’s daughter (the very hot Emmanuelle Chriqui). While Chazz Palminteri chews the ziti as the mobster, the bodyguard and his charge act on their attraction, and the various anonymous dangers become the film’s projection of racial-erotic anxiety. In essence, In the Mix explores the question: Will Usher get offed for sleeping with a white girl? The film gets props for the fact that the two end up in bed in the first place, yet Usher, who has a squinty charm, is forced to display an infinite polite chivalry that would have shamed Sidney Poitier. He also wins over the lady he’s protecting by feeding her soul food, which results in the year’s single most embarrassing romantic howler: ”Must have been the collard greens that made me lose control!”
(In the Mix: Saeed Adyani)
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Romance, Comedy; Starring: Usher, Kevin Hart, Chazz Palminteri; Director: Ron Underwood; Release Date Wide: 11/23/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'Game of Thrones': Which actor is also the best singer?
- Adele dressed up like George Michael on her birthday
- Charlize Theron reveals all about her ultimate female road warrior in 'Mad Max'
- Phil Rudd's AC/DC bandmates haven't contacted him since his criminal charges
- 'Charlie Hebdo' editors get standing ovation at PEN Gala
- The Critics' Choice TV Awards 2015: And the nominees are...
- 'Arrow' preview: Who is Oliver Queen?
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!