What at first seems a narrow, eccentric subject — six massacres involving the Army, white settlers, and Native Americans in the late 19th century — is, in fact, entirely universal and topical. Man’s inclination to perpetuate ”a perfect butchery,” as Kit Carson described the 1846 Sacramento River Massacre, lives on, as do the motivations for the savagery: apprehension, the coveting of land or mineral rights, and the affliction of thinking ”the worst about those who are not as we are.” Ferocious violence has played a role in Larry McMurtry’s fiction (Lonesome Dove) and nonfiction (Crazy Horse), and as always he approaches the topic with measured gentility and weary humor: ”Massacres may be many things, but they are never neat — they might be considered the very antithesis of neatness.” Among those many things is, especially in McMurtry’s deft hands, a riveting cautionary tale found in Oh What a Slaughter.
Oh What a Slaughter What at first seems a narrow, eccentric subject — six massacres involving the Army, white settlers, and Native Americans in the late 19th ...Oh What a SlaughterNonfictionLarry McMurty What at first seems a narrow, eccentric subject — six massacres involving the Army, white settlers, and Native Americans in the late 19th ...2005-11-30Simon & Schuster
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Larry McMurty; Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More