”We weren’t a social movement, like the Beatles,” Bob Gaudio (Daniel Reichard) shrugs during Jersey Boys, a brisk musical about the original boy band, the Four Seasons. True enough, but their saga and songs finally give the jukebox musical a respectable name. With Frankie Valli vocal ringer John Lloyd Young and a book co-written by Woody Allen collaborator Marshall Brickman, Boys feels like an A&E Biography blended with a first-rate tribute band. The show overplays jokes about the combo’s home state and swishy producer, but their crime-propelled rise-and-fall tale is so rarely told — and oldies like ”Working My Way Back to You” and ”Walk Like a Man” are such minidramas in themselves — that you leave feeling like you’ve heard pop’s last great untold story. Not to mention humming ”Rag Doll.”
Jersey Boys ''We weren't a social movement, like the Beatles,'' Bob Gaudio (Daniel Reichard) shrugs during Jersey Boys, a brisk musical about the...Jersey BoysMarshall Brickman ''We weren't a social movement, like the Beatles,'' Bob Gaudio (Daniel Reichard) shrugs during Jersey Boys, a brisk musical about the...2005-12-02Christian Hoff
Starring: John Lloyd Young; Starring: Christian Hoff; Director: Des McAnuff; Author: Marshall Brickman; Opening Date: 11/07/2005
Posted December 2 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- Ben Stiller tweets about mom Anne Meara
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!