The Independent Spirit Award nominations have once again boosted the Oscar hopes of some smaller films and foreshadowed possible Academy snubs. Among those topping this year’s list were The Squid and the Whale, Brokeback Mountain, Capote, and Good Night, and Good Luck. But Brokeback costar Jake Gyllenhaal was omitted, and Crash, shut out of Best Feature, scored just two nods.
Posted December 2 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Exclusive: Subway tunnel rave turns deadly in 'Survive the Night' trailer
- 'Edward Scissorhands' 25th anniversary Blu-ray: New details
- Demi Lovato: 'Summer' turns into fall
- The Roots play 'Rappers Delight' with the Philadelphia Mayor for Fourth of July
- John Oliver's Shallow Dive: 15 topics in 60(-ish) seconds
- Miley Cyrus cameos as a skateboarding heartthrob on 'Stone Quackers'
- Amazon's 'The Man in the High Castle': Watch EW livestream of episodes 1 and 2 from Comic-Con Friday
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!