When forever-hoarse New Orleans native Lil Wayne slyly rasps ”The only history I know is Benjamin Franklin” at the end of Tha Carter II, he’s not attacking the Louisiana school system as much as he’s flashing inordinate wealth. Slick Trumpisms can be clever but, in such abundance, they can be tiresome, too. Luckily, Wayne’s fifth solo album transcends his inflated ego with a handful of sturdy funk-blues tracks (”Hustler Musik,” the Isley-sampling ”Receipt”) that offer genuine value.
Tha Carter II When forever-hoarse New Orleans native Lil Wayne slyly rasps ''The only history I know is Benjamin Franklin'' at the end of Tha Carter IITha Carter IIHip-Hop/Rap When forever-hoarse New Orleans native Lil Wayne slyly rasps ''The only history I know is Benjamin Franklin'' at the end of Tha Carter II2005-12-05
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Lead Performer: Lil Wayne; Producer (group): Universal
Posted December 5 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Qs
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!