A big Hollywood weeper with a beautiful ache at its center. In 1963, Ennis (Heath Ledger) and Jack (Jake Gyllenhaal), a couple of dirt-poor ranch hands, take a herding job on Brokeback Mountain and wind up sleeping together. They reunite in secret over the years, and the movie, treating their passion as something unprecedented, makes love seem as ineffable as it really is. Ledger gives a performance of extraordinary, gnarled tenderness.
Genre: Western; Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Heath Ledger, Anne Hathaway, Randy Quaid, Michelle Williams; Director: Ang Lee; Author: Diana Ossana, E. Annie Proulx, Larry McMurtry; Release Date Limited: 12/09/2005; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 134; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Focus Features, Universal
Posted December 9 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- ABC boss defends polarizing 'Grey's Anatomy' death
- 'Halo Wars 2' and more news from Microsoft's Gamescom conference
- Donald Trump biography gets early release date due to 'heightened interest'
- Simon Kinberg describes the brain trust that is plotting the next generation of 'Star Wars' films
- Kermit and Piggy announce breakup at TCA
- First 'Stonewall' trailer spotlights fight for gay rights
- 'The Game' showrunner on opening doors for 'Empire' and 'Scandal'