A big Hollywood weeper with a beautiful ache at its center. In 1963, Ennis (Heath Ledger) and Jack (Jake Gyllenhaal), a couple of dirt-poor ranch hands, take a herding job on Brokeback Mountain and wind up sleeping together. They reunite in secret over the years, and the movie, treating their passion as something unprecedented, makes love seem as ineffable as it really is. Ledger gives a performance of extraordinary, gnarled tenderness.
Genre: Western; Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Heath Ledger, Anne Hathaway, Randy Quaid, Michelle Williams; Director: Ang Lee; Author: Diana Ossana, E. Annie Proulx, Larry McMurtry; Release Date Limited: 12/09/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 134; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Focus Features, Universal
Posted December 9 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Bono joins Bruce Springsteen in Dublin for 'Because the Night'
- Stan Lee says he didn't go to strip club for 'Deadpool' cameo
- 'Harry Potter' star Matthew Lewis remembers Alan Rickman
- 'Game of Thrones' EW Podcast for 'Blood of My Blood' is live
- Selena Gomez visits sick kids at Boston Children's Hospital
- Jack Hanna says Harambe the gorilla's death was necessary
- Snoop Dogg calls for 'Roots' boycott in Instagram video
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot
- Carpool Karaoke: James Corden's Most-Watched Videos
- The Most Famous Swimsuit Scenes From TV and Movies
- See All of Entertainment Weekly's X-Men Covers