A big Hollywood weeper with a beautiful ache at its center. In 1963, Ennis (Heath Ledger) and Jack (Jake Gyllenhaal), a couple of dirt-poor ranch hands, take a herding job on Brokeback Mountain and wind up sleeping together. They reunite in secret over the years, and the movie, treating their passion as something unprecedented, makes love seem as ineffable as it really is. Ledger gives a performance of extraordinary, gnarled tenderness.
Genre: Western; Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Heath Ledger, Anne Hathaway, Randy Quaid, Michelle Williams; Director: Ang Lee; Author: Diana Ossana, E. Annie Proulx, Larry McMurtry; Release Date Limited: 12/09/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 134; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Focus Features, Universal
Posted December 9 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Lady Gaga to be honored by Grammy Museum
- CineFix ranks the 10 best final film shots of all time
- 'Project Runway Junior' winner gives advice to the adults
- Overlooked witness could have prevented conviction in 'Serial' case, expert says
- 'Supergirl' sneak peek: Watch Hank pretend to be Kara again
- President Obama pays tribute to Earth, Wind & Fire's Maurice White
- 'The Magicians' sneak peek: Quentin and Eliot head to the mental hospital — or do they?