Braving a merry mix of bodily fluids, depilatory torture, and a prostitute who’s not what she seems, Steve Carell shines as a lovable lug struggling to get his swerve on. While The 40 Year-Old Virgin’s vulgarity pushes the envelope, the star’s aw-shucks earnestness keeps everything decent in this touching sex romp. EXTRAS Collecting redundant shots of the cast laughing at themselves, the blooper reel is indulgently long. Similarly, costar/co-producer Seth Rogen’s date with a porn star is a waste (although Rogen is clearly having a ball). Yet the near-hour of bonus footage like Carell watching The Hulk with a hooker in drag, an extended Date-A-Palooza sequence, and randy stockroom banter about the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man soups up the twisted gaiety. And the inclusion of a retro sex-ed video showing bell-bottomed teens discussing those special feelings is random in the best possible way. Still, the disc’s gem must be the chest-waxing doc: That’s Carell in the flesh, and his pain is real. But how dare he use Kelly Clarkson’s name in vain!
(40 Year Old Virgin: Suzanne Hanover)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Steve Carell, Catherine Keener, Paul Rudd; Director: Judd Apatow; Author: Judd Apatow, Steve Carell; Release Date Wide: 08/19/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 113; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Universal
Posted December 13 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Under the Dome' will end this season
- Maisie Williams accepts Guinness World Record on behalf of 'Game of Thrones'
- 'Gotham' sneak peek: Barbara and Jerome cross paths in Arkham
- Uber offering free 'Mad Max: Fury Road'-themed rides in Seattle
- How the faith-based drama 'War Room' became a sleeper hit
- 'The Unauthorized O.C. Musical': Ranking the musical numbers
- A fourth-grade teacher turned his classroom into the ultimate Kanye West tribute
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!