Braving a merry mix of bodily fluids, depilatory torture, and a prostitute who’s not what she seems, Steve Carell shines as a lovable lug struggling to get his swerve on. While The 40 Year-Old Virgin’s vulgarity pushes the envelope, the star’s aw-shucks earnestness keeps everything decent in this touching sex romp. EXTRAS Collecting redundant shots of the cast laughing at themselves, the blooper reel is indulgently long. Similarly, costar/co-producer Seth Rogen’s date with a porn star is a waste (although Rogen is clearly having a ball). Yet the near-hour of bonus footage like Carell watching The Hulk with a hooker in drag, an extended Date-A-Palooza sequence, and randy stockroom banter about the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man soups up the twisted gaiety. And the inclusion of a retro sex-ed video showing bell-bottomed teens discussing those special feelings is random in the best possible way. Still, the disc’s gem must be the chest-waxing doc: That’s Carell in the flesh, and his pain is real. But how dare he use Kelly Clarkson’s name in vain!
(40 Year Old Virgin: Suzanne Hanover)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Steve Carell, Catherine Keener, Paul Rudd; Director: Judd Apatow; Author: Judd Apatow, Steve Carell; Release Date Wide: 08/19/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 113; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Universal
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'Star Wars' Celebration panel on 'Rogue One' and other stand-alones: We're live blogging it
- 'Furious 7' holds off 'Paul Blart' to win box office for third weekend in a row
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis on present (two Tribeca films), past ('SNL'), and future ('Fletch'?)
- 'Outlander' boss on Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Kellie Pickler, Julia Roberts, Taylor Swift & More!