Braving a merry mix of bodily fluids, depilatory torture, and a prostitute who’s not what she seems, Steve Carell shines as a lovable lug struggling to get his swerve on. While The 40 Year-Old Virgin’s vulgarity pushes the envelope, the star’s aw-shucks earnestness keeps everything decent in this touching sex romp. EXTRAS Collecting redundant shots of the cast laughing at themselves, the blooper reel is indulgently long. Similarly, costar/co-producer Seth Rogen’s date with a porn star is a waste (although Rogen is clearly having a ball). Yet the near-hour of bonus footage like Carell watching The Hulk with a hooker in drag, an extended Date-A-Palooza sequence, and randy stockroom banter about the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man soups up the twisted gaiety. And the inclusion of a retro sex-ed video showing bell-bottomed teens discussing those special feelings is random in the best possible way. Still, the disc’s gem must be the chest-waxing doc: That’s Carell in the flesh, and his pain is real. But how dare he use Kelly Clarkson’s name in vain!
(40 Year Old Virgin: Suzanne Hanover)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Steve Carell, Catherine Keener, Paul Rudd; Director: Judd Apatow; Author: Judd Apatow, Steve Carell; Release Date Wide: 08/19/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 113; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Universal
Posted December 13 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Ben Affleck is a math genius with a secret in 'The Accountant' trailer
- WATCH: 'Pretty Little Liars' stars show 'Harry Potter' love
- Joe Biden loves the word 'malarkey'
- HBO renews 'Ballers' for season 3
- Serena Williams answers 73 random questions for Vogue
- Bindi Irwin praises Ariel Winter's body confidence
- Garry Marshall's 'The Flamingo Kid' is going to be a stage musical
- 'Alice in Wonderland': Witticisms and Wisdom From the Disney Classic
- 'John Tucker Must Die': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Captivating International Crime Thrillers
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?