Two young runners (a rakish Mel Gibson and an angelic Mark Lee) meet, bond, and enlist in World War I for ”an all-out assault on Johnny Turk” at Gallipoli. Gallipoli director Peter Weir’s visuals — a trek across the outback, a barrage of shrapnel whooshing past men diving underwater — are stunning, but he also enriches the story with subtlety and irony (men leaving the trenches shake hands with a corpse). The heartbreaking final scenes of Aussie youths matching their bayonets against machine guns elevate the film to an antiwar masterpiece. EXTRAS In a making-of doc, we learn that Weir balked at depicting Gallipoli, an overly familiar battle to schoolboys Down Under, until a walk through the trenches changed his mind. Lee says that worry about his inexperience led him to quit the first day, but Weir distracted him by rehearsing the dialogue while blasting a Ry Cooder album.
Gallipoli Two young runners (a rakish Mel Gibson and an angelic Mark Lee) meet, bond, and enlist in World War I for ''an all-out assault on Johnny Turk'' at ...GallipoliDramaPeter WeirPG Two young runners (a rakish Mel Gibson and an angelic Mark Lee) meet, bond, and enlist in World War I for ''an all-out assault on Johnny Turk'' at ...2005-12-13Mark Lee
Genre: Drama; Starring: Mel Gibson, Mark Lee; Director: Peter Weir; Author: Peter Weir; MPAA Rating: PG
Posted December 13 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I’m Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!