It was The Island director Michael Bay’s fervent hope that the concept of clones created to provide backup organs for the squire-archy of the not-so-distant future would imprint on audiences; but the dopey doppelgängers’ rudimentary understanding of the world seems to have infected the filmmakers instead. How else to explain anti-tofu jokes, a riff on the word dude, and a line like ”There’s one universal truth, and that is you never give a woman your credit card”? The action is unrelentingly exquisite, but McGregor and Johansson are left with vacant looks and naïveté in the boudoir. EXTRAS The best part of the grandly named ”Future in Action” doc is when a truck destroys a $600,000 camera; Bay’s commentary reveals that (a) the dude bit was his idea, and (b) he normally smashes ”about two or three megaphones” in the course of a shoot.
(The Island: Merrick Morton)
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Scarlett Johansson, Ewan McGregor, Steve Buscemi, Michael Clarke Duncan, Djimon Hounsou; Director: Michael Bay; Author: Caspian Tredwell-Owen; Release Date Wide: 07/22/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 138; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted December 13 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Robin Williams' daughter shares touching tribute to Oliver Sacks
- Jay Z apparently joined Instagram – then quit after only a few hours
- See Miley Cyrus meet Internet sensation Baddie Winkle before the VMAs
- Netflix will lose 'Catching Fire,' 'Transformers' at the end of September
- See the 'Man of Steel' trailer get the 'Deadpool' treatment
- See 'Game of Thrones' fans visit filming locations around the world
- Dave Grohl celebrates Chicago’s music scene at Wrigley Field show
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Khloeé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!