It was The Island director Michael Bay’s fervent hope that the concept of clones created to provide backup organs for the squire-archy of the not-so-distant future would imprint on audiences; but the dopey doppelgängers’ rudimentary understanding of the world seems to have infected the filmmakers instead. How else to explain anti-tofu jokes, a riff on the word dude, and a line like ”There’s one universal truth, and that is you never give a woman your credit card”? The action is unrelentingly exquisite, but McGregor and Johansson are left with vacant looks and naïveté in the boudoir. EXTRAS The best part of the grandly named ”Future in Action” doc is when a truck destroys a $600,000 camera; Bay’s commentary reveals that (a) the dude bit was his idea, and (b) he normally smashes ”about two or three megaphones” in the course of a shoot.
(The Island: Merrick Morton)
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Scarlett Johansson, Ewan McGregor, Steve Buscemi, Michael Clarke Duncan, Djimon Hounsou; Director: Michael Bay; Author: Caspian Tredwell-Owen; Release Date Wide: 07/22/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 138; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Jason Sudeikis looks back at 'SNL' and ahead towards 'Fletch'
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!