Does it bug you when trailers drag on at the multiplex? If so, King Kong: Peter Jackson’s Production Diaries may not be for you. It’s the ultimate bloated preview: a three-and-three-quarter-hour plug for Jackson’s three-hour remake, due in theaters Dec. 14. And it’s not terribly fresh pluggery, since almost all of the bitsy material here — how they built New York street sets complete with steaming sewer covers, how they fabricated animal poop — was dribbled out previously at the fansite kongisking.net. (These archived communiqués disappeared in October, so now you can see them only in this $40 set. Gotcha!) But all that said, Diaries makes a tasty pile of leftovers, garnished as it is with a new segment (a sneak peek at the big T. rex fight scene) and wrapped in a cool faux-treasure-chest box with some nice concept-art lithographs (plus better picture quality than the Internet). Jackson’s determination to turn himself into a kind of reality TV character is in some ways a heroic gesture, more an expression of his love for moviemaking than a commercial stratagem. Dilettantes will balk, but if you’re into either Jackson or Kong, this is a dandy way to stoke your appetite for the main course.
(King Kong: Pierre Vinet/Universal Studios)
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Jack Black, Adrien Brody, Peter Jackson, Naomi Watts; Director: Peter Jackson; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted December 13 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Nicholas Hoult will play J.D. Salinger in a new biopic
- Stephen Amell says he'll go for Prime Minister if Kanye West runs for president
- 'SNL': See brand new footage from 'Hobbit Office' starring Martin Freeman
- Kanye as VMAs host in 2016? Not so fast
- Emmys secret ballot: How will Hollywood vote?
- This is what stars looked like at their first VMAs
- Prince talks about his 'experimental' new record 'HITNRUN'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!