Does it bug you when trailers drag on at the multiplex? If so, King Kong: Peter Jackson’s Production Diaries may not be for you. It’s the ultimate bloated preview: a three-and-three-quarter-hour plug for Jackson’s three-hour remake, due in theaters Dec. 14. And it’s not terribly fresh pluggery, since almost all of the bitsy material here — how they built New York street sets complete with steaming sewer covers, how they fabricated animal poop — was dribbled out previously at the fansite kongisking.net. (These archived communiqués disappeared in October, so now you can see them only in this $40 set. Gotcha!) But all that said, Diaries makes a tasty pile of leftovers, garnished as it is with a new segment (a sneak peek at the big T. rex fight scene) and wrapped in a cool faux-treasure-chest box with some nice concept-art lithographs (plus better picture quality than the Internet). Jackson’s determination to turn himself into a kind of reality TV character is in some ways a heroic gesture, more an expression of his love for moviemaking than a commercial stratagem. Dilettantes will balk, but if you’re into either Jackson or Kong, this is a dandy way to stoke your appetite for the main course.
(King Kong: Pierre Vinet/Universal Studios)
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Jack Black, Adrien Brody, Peter Jackson, Naomi Watts; Director: Peter Jackson; Status: In Season; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted December 13 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Netflix's official logo for Marvel's 'Jessica Jones'
- Kendrick Lamar releases trippy 'For Free? (Interlude)' video
- Mick Rock on his new show: I'm the Anthony Bourdain of rock and roll
- Chevy Chase & Beverly D'Angelo on their sweet 'Vacation' cameos
- 'Ash vs. Evil Dead' is not a 'watered-down version' of the films
- Country singer Lynn Anderson dead at 67
- Lucy Lawless maintains no 'Xena' deal, but she'd like one
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!