Hollywood’s take on roller-skating is usually either delightful kitsch (TV’s Charlie’s Angels) or a glorification of skaters to sports-god status (Rollerball). Roll Bounce straddles the two. Mr. Wow earns the right to drop the ”Lil”’ from his name with a tragicomic performance — as a ’70s teen dealing with his mother’s death — that’s a surprise to anyone familiar with his rapper roots. A skate-off as therapy might be a stretch, but the Solid Gold-worthy choreography makes this coming-of-age story truly groovy. The EXTRAS will turn your mood ring dark blue with joy. Nick Cannon reveals the inspirations for his Me Decade look (Jimi Hendrix, Prince), and Bill Butler, a.k.a. the Godfather of Roller Disco, teaches moves to the cast in a fast-paced making-of doc. But director Malcolm D. Lee’s commentary may overstate his film’s cultural influence: ”It’s quite possible by the time people rent this DVD…skating will be in full effect throughout the country — and perhaps the world.”
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Bow Wow, Nick Cannon, Mike Epps, Chi McBride; Director: Malcolm Lee; Author: Norman Vance Jr.; Release Date Limited: 09/23/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 110; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted December 13 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Demi Lovato pays tribute to late father on anticipated fall album—exclusive details
- See the 'Halo 5' opening cinematic (with Nathan Fillion and Mike Colter)
- Eddie Redmayne becomes 'The Danish Girl' in film's first trailer
- Michael Fassbender rises to power in new 'Macbeth' trailer
- Janet Jackson kicks off world tour with new song featuring Missy Elliott
- Alison Mosshart details the Dead Weather's new album
- J.K. Rowling wishes James Sirius Potter a happy first day at Hogwarts
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Kendall Jenner, Jamie Dornan, Katie Holmes & More!