Hollywood’s take on roller-skating is usually either delightful kitsch (TV’s Charlie’s Angels) or a glorification of skaters to sports-god status (Rollerball). Roll Bounce straddles the two. Mr. Wow earns the right to drop the ”Lil”’ from his name with a tragicomic performance — as a ’70s teen dealing with his mother’s death — that’s a surprise to anyone familiar with his rapper roots. A skate-off as therapy might be a stretch, but the Solid Gold-worthy choreography makes this coming-of-age story truly groovy. The EXTRAS will turn your mood ring dark blue with joy. Nick Cannon reveals the inspirations for his Me Decade look (Jimi Hendrix, Prince), and Bill Butler, a.k.a. the Godfather of Roller Disco, teaches moves to the cast in a fast-paced making-of doc. But director Malcolm D. Lee’s commentary may overstate his film’s cultural influence: ”It’s quite possible by the time people rent this DVD…skating will be in full effect throughout the country — and perhaps the world.”
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Bow Wow, Nick Cannon, Mike Epps, Chi McBride; Director: Malcolm Lee; Author: Norman Vance Jr.; Release Date Limited: 09/23/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 110; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted December 13 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Empire': Lawsuit claims kids were mistreated during filming at youth detention center
- Classic album covers get the 'Star Wars' treatment
- 'Mr. Robot': Carly Chaikin on the big Darlene shocker
- Prince's Paisley Park estate will open for public tours in October
- 'Another Period': Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on season finale
- Katie Ledecky throws out first pitch as Bryce Harper holds her medals
- 'Serial': Adnan Syed alibi witness shoots down attempts to discredit her
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...