With his unmeltable snowcap of hair, Steve Martin has looked exactly the same on screen for almost 20 years, but in Cheaper by the Dozen 2, the fractures are starting to show. Returning for another celebration of cheesy dadness as the overzealous father of 12, Martin is hiding under so much creamy, age-defying face cake that he looks ready to fill in on a talk show. It underlines everything wrong with this very poor comedy, a family fantasy that plays at being happy and picture-perfect but primarily comes off as fake and dismayingly unfunny. ”Life’s blazing by!” Martin cries at the outset to his brood. ”Let’s go up to the lake one last time.” There’s your entire premise. Set up Eugene Levy in a gigantic cabin across the water as Martin’s foil in competitive parenting, and what you have is less a sequel to a not-so-bad remake than yet another remake, this one of that not-so-great 1988 John Candy comedy The Great Outdoors.
(Cheaper by the Dozen 2: Peter Stranks)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Bonnie Hunt, Eugene Levy, Steve Martin, Hilary Duff, Carmen Electra, Piper Perabo, Tom Welling; Director: Adam Shankman; Author: Sam Harper; Release Date Wide: 12/21/2005; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted December 14 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Funeral for slain New York rapper will be held next week
- What to binge-watch: Memorial Day marathon edition
- Pac-Man turns 35: Looking back on three-plus decades of video games, pop culture, and cereal
- 'Mad Men' finale attracts record audience
- Cast your vote in EW's TV Season Finale Awards
- 'Scream Queens' exclusive: See brand new footage from this fall's horror comedy
- Jesse McCartney admits he's 'not a computer person,' carpools with 'Young & Hungry' co-star
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- Kendall & Lily, Jon Bon Jovi, Chanel Iman and More!