Wolf Creek, an unusually crisp and boldly shot Texas Chainsaw Massacre knockoff, looks as ancient and patterned as a druidic ritual. A bunch of kids jump into a car and head for a famed crater in the middle of the outback, only to get stalled by engine trouble. Their savior? A jaunty hunter (John Jarratt) who drives up in his truck, offering assistance with just enough of a derisive cackle to make him seem like ”Crocodile” Dundee with a loose screw. What follows is some very well-staged kidnapping and torture and escape that still manages to come off like a rerun of last month’s Chainsaw retread.
(Wolf Creek: Daniel Guerra)
Genre: Horror; Starring: John Jarrett, Cassandra Magrath; Director: Greg McLean; Author: Greg McLean; Release Date Wide: 12/25/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted January 4 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Lance Bass celebrates *NSYNC's 21st birthday with '90s fashion throwback pic
- 'War for the Planet of the Apes' reveals first plot details
- Anna Kendrick grieves over 'Great British Baking Show' host departures
- Grumpy Cat makes Broadway debut with the cast of 'Cats'
- 'The Tonight Show': James Marsden sings Kenny Rogers to 'get the girl'
- Clive Owen, Dakota Fanning go fast and furious for BMW short film
- Bill Maher and Sarah Silverman call Gary Johnson 'a f---ing idiot'