Werner Herzog’s haunting Grizzly Man didn’t even make the Academy voters’ 2005 nominee short list, but such oversights are not unusual for the establishment (Hoop Dreams, The Thin Blue Line). Using the true-life tale of grizzly bear enthusiast Timothy Treadwell, an eccentric nature lover who was eventually consumed by one of his ”friends,” Herzog pulls the rug out from every convention we’ve come to recognize as the documentary form. What at first seems to be the deconstruction of a troubled crusader becomes an elegy on the nature of performance (yes, even in a doc), with Treadwell as the director’s unlikely muse. In describing Treadwell’s footage, the director sums up the movie best: ”I discovered a film of human ecstasies and darkest inner turmoil.” The lone EXTRA — an exhaustive 54-minute featurette on the movie’s guitar-flavored score — is a disappointment. With more than 100 hours of material mined for the film, how about a couple of outtakes, Werner?
Grizzly Man Werner Herzog's haunting Grizzly Man didn't even make the Academy voters' 2005 nominee short list, but such oversights are not unusual...Grizzly ManDocumentaryPT103MR Werner Herzog's haunting Grizzly Man didn't even make the Academy voters' 2005 nominee short list, but such oversights are not unusual...2006-01-10Lions Gate Films
Genre: Documentary; Director: Werner Herzog; Release Date Limited: 08/12/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 103; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted January 10 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Scott Van Pelt on new midnight 'SportsCenter'
- See an exclusive clip from bonkers Italian horror movie spoof 'The Editor'
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star James Pickens Jr. joins Twitter
- Telluride Film Festival lineup announced
- Shonda Rhimes & Viola Davis look back on that 'angry black woman' piece
- Sienna Miller's role was cut from 'Black Mass'
- Phantogram's Sarah Barthel explains her rad guest spot on Miley Cyrus' surprise album
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!