Sure, it’s the thick of January, but Academy voters are already buzzing about two movies that will be a major factor in the 2007 awards season. The first, Tristan & Isolde — from the people who brought you Waterworld and Lara Croft: Tomb Raider 2 — features staggering dialogue and a love story that perfectly captures the boredom and listlessness of the Dark Ages. (James Franco’s chest might just warrant a nomination of its own!) Meanwhile, the vampire saga BloodRayne has critics using terms like ”unbelievable” and ”oh, holy crap,” and director Uwe Boll (building on his momentum from last year’s Alone in the Dark) now stands in a category unto himself. Hard to say what Academy members will remember most: the blood? the Rayne? One thing’s for sure — expect Oscar winner Sir Ben Kingsley to be singled out for his career-altering performance. After all, Gandhi never wielded a sword like this.
Posted January 20 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- See the 'Man of Steel' trailer get the 'Deadpool' treatment
- See Game of Thrones fans visit filming locations around the world
- Dave Grohl celebrates Chicago’s music scene at Wrigley Field show
- Taylor Swift is really, really excited for the 'Wildest Dreams' music video debut
- Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart almost joined Taylor Swift on tour
- 'We Are Your Friends' had one of the worst openings in history
- Details on the 'AHS: Hotel' Halloween episodes with Lily Rabe and Darren Criss
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Khloeé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!