Sure, it’s the thick of January, but Academy voters are already buzzing about two movies that will be a major factor in the 2007 awards season. The first, Tristan & Isolde — from the people who brought you Waterworld and Lara Croft: Tomb Raider 2 — features staggering dialogue and a love story that perfectly captures the boredom and listlessness of the Dark Ages. (James Franco’s chest might just warrant a nomination of its own!) Meanwhile, the vampire saga BloodRayne has critics using terms like ”unbelievable” and ”oh, holy crap,” and director Uwe Boll (building on his momentum from last year’s Alone in the Dark) now stands in a category unto himself. Hard to say what Academy members will remember most: the blood? the Rayne? One thing’s for sure — expect Oscar winner Sir Ben Kingsley to be singled out for his career-altering performance. After all, Gandhi never wielded a sword like this.
Posted January 20 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- HBO partners with Vice for daily newscast
- William Petersen of 'CSI' joins WGN's 'Manhattan'
- Watch an exclusive clip from Sunday's 'The Last Man on Earth'
- Cameron and Donna reboot their lives in exclusive clip from the new season of 'Halt and Catch Fire'
- Christina Hendricks loses face in exclusive NSFW featurette from Ryan Gosling's 'Lost River'
- Imagine Dragons, Cold War Kids, and Weezer join Rihanna, Zac Brown Band, and more to perform at March Madness Music Festival
- 'Walking Dead' finale: Gale Anne Hurd promises 'sad losses'
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!