It’s taken Martin Lawrence six years to resurrect Hattie Mae Pierce, the zaftig alter ego of FBI agent Malcolm Turner who again goes undercover — this time as a nanny spying on Tom Fuller (Desperate Housewives’ Mark Moses), a father of three who’s created a computer worm that could threaten homeland security. That flimsy plot is the one nod to timeliness in Big Momma’s House 2; otherwise, this unnecessary but genial comedy’s yuks are firmly steeped in the ways of Y2K. An adorable Chihuahua that looks like it wandered in from the set of an old Taco Bell commercial gets drunk on tequila. Momma chases a perp along an ocean boardwalk before hopping onto a Segway. And the final scenes, in a pale imitation of 2000’s already-too-satirized Bring It On, take place at a tween cheer competition. What, you were expecting originality from a Martin Lawrence sequel? House 2 may never elicit more than mild chuckles, but when Momma teaches the Fullers a few lessons about family, it’s heartfelt without being syrupy. And Lawrence — thundering down the beach in cornrows and a yellow swimsuit — yet again proves that there is no such thing as an unfunny 10 parody.
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Martin Lawrence, Nia Long; Director: John Whitesell; Author: Don Rhymer; Release Date Wide: 01/27/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted January 25 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!