In yet another Holly wood-is-dumb satire, Philip, Claire, and Gilbert are struggling writers who hit it big when Joel Silver-like producer Bobby Spellman (”his gaze held a calculated hint of menace as though to say, ‘I like you at the moment but reserve the right to crush you”’) hires them to adapt a classic WWII novel for closeted megastar Stephen Donato. When Donato’s aunt plans to out the actor in a tell-all book, a smitten Philip poses as the aunt’s ghostwriter to protect his crush. Sitcom writer Joe Keenan (Frasier, Out of Practice) achieves a silly-but-smart tone: Gilbert reworks Casablanca, puts the trio’s names on it, and fools most of Hollywood. What My Lucky Star lacks in novelty it makes up for in pure snark.
My Lucky Star In yet another Holly wood-is-dumb satire, Philip, Claire, and Gilbert are struggling writers who hit it big when Joel Silver-like producer Bobby...My Lucky StarFictionJoe Keenan In yet another Holly wood-is-dumb satire, Philip, Claire, and Gilbert are struggling writers who hit it big when Joel Silver-like producer Bobby...2006-01-25Little Brown & Company
Genre: Fiction; Author: Joe Keenan; Publisher: Little Brown & Company
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Sacha Baron Cohen to write, direct, produce, and star in Freddy Mercury biopic
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- What we're reading now: Hammer Head by Nina MacLaughlin
- 'Daily Show': Trevor Noah's name floats as possible host; get a quick intro to his work
- Jerry Seinfeld on Wale: 'He's got that true artistic spirit'
- 'Orphan Black' star Jordan Gavaris talks Felix
- Kids' Choice Awards host Nick Jonas answers questions from kids
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Kate Mara, Sienna Miller & More!