Vampires got an upgrade in Underworld, the 2003 Goth-chic horror actioner. In a canny spin on the genre, they earned the right to bear arms. Ostensibly, this was so bloodsuckers like Kate Beckinsale could blow away ”lycans” (a.k.a. werewolves) with silver-nitrate rounds to the heart, as the two mutant forms were locked in a centuries-long battle. The real boon, however, was cosmetic: Vampires need guns because guns, like cigarettes, make people on movie screens look sexier — even pasty, undead people with gore dripping off their fangs. In Underworld: Evolution, Beckinsale again doublefists her automatic hand cannons, but eventually you have to ask: What for? This time werewolves have, for the most part, ceded main villain duties to a supervampire (Tony Curran) with scary wings popping out of his back that double as spears, making all the noisy gunplay just sound and fury — it signifies nothing, since vampires are immortal, remember? Bullets only slow them down. So the guns are a bit of a gyp, and the series never expands on the promise of its one innovation. Nevertheless, there remain minor pleasures. I especially like how, when Beckinsale’s half-wolf, half-vampire friend Scott Speedman moves in for a kiss, you can hear the black leather of her dominatrix getup crinkle and crackle on the soundtrack like an old saddle. Sizzlin’!
(Underworld: Evolution: Doug Curran)
Starring: Kate Beckinsale, Scott Speedman; Starring: Bill Nighy, Michael Sheen; Director: Len Wiseman; Author: Len Wiseman; Release Date Wide: 01/20/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Releasing
Posted January 25 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman gets a tribute at the Indy 500--but it ends in a crash
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- ‘Tomorrowland’ leads slow Memorial Day weekend at box office
- Jennifer Aniston's '90s throwback photo is picture perfect
- Straight No Chaser step into Jim Nabors' shoes, sing to kick off the Indy 500
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!