Strivers Row, the final book in Kevin Baker’s City of Fire trilogy, documents two men in Harlem at the height of WWII and Jim Crow laws. Teenage Malcolm Little scrapped his way out of foster care in Lansing, Mich., hoping to refashion himself in upper Manhattan’s hopping clubs (and later becomes Malcolm X); Rev. Jonah Dove struggles to forge his own identity as he inherits his preacher father’s parish. As he did in Paradise Alley and Dreamland, Baker skillfully roots his dense, ambitious, at times transcendent story with meticulous research and brings to vibrant life a notable chapter in New York City history.
Strivers Row Strivers Row, the final book in Kevin Baker's City of Fire trilogy, documents two men in Harlem at the height of WWII and Jim...Strivers RowFictionKevin Baker Strivers Row, the final book in Kevin Baker's City of Fire trilogy, documents two men in Harlem at the height of WWII and Jim...2006-02-01HarperCollins
Genre: Fiction; Author: Kevin Baker; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'Last Man on Earth': Will Forte on THAT season finale twist
- 'Game of Thrones' actor explains his surprisingly early exit
- 'Suicide Squad': First Look at rogues' gallery in costume
- 'Game of Thrones': Carice van Houten on nudity, Jon Snow
- 'Star Wars': 'Force Awakens' toys in Sept.
- J.K. Rowling sorry for a 'Potter' death
- Kanye West announces new album title
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Halle Berry & Goldie Hawn, Plus Diddy, Melissa McCarthy & More!