Strivers Row, the final book in Kevin Baker’s City of Fire trilogy, documents two men in Harlem at the height of WWII and Jim Crow laws. Teenage Malcolm Little scrapped his way out of foster care in Lansing, Mich., hoping to refashion himself in upper Manhattan’s hopping clubs (and later becomes Malcolm X); Rev. Jonah Dove struggles to forge his own identity as he inherits his preacher father’s parish. As he did in Paradise Alley and Dreamland, Baker skillfully roots his dense, ambitious, at times transcendent story with meticulous research and brings to vibrant life a notable chapter in New York City history.
Strivers Row Strivers Row, the final book in Kevin Baker's City of Fire trilogy, documents two men in Harlem at the height of WWII and Jim...Strivers RowFictionKevin Baker Strivers Row, the final book in Kevin Baker's City of Fire trilogy, documents two men in Harlem at the height of WWII and Jim...2006-02-01HarperCollins
Genre: Fiction; Author: Kevin Baker; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted February 1 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Game of Thrones' casts Samwell Tarly's brother
- Idris Elba prepares child soldiers for war in 'Beasts of No Nation' trailer
- These were the best responses to our Shondaland caption contest
- Pentatonix reveal details of new album: 'We want to prove we can write'
- Misha Collins thinks Donald Trump would make a great cat circus tour assistant
- 5 steps for celebrating Beyonce's birthday
- Talking 'Star Wars' toys: Hear Finn, Kylo Ren and Captain Phasma speak
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Tom Hardy, Alessandra Ambrósio, Bindi Irwin & More!