It began, in 1979, as a Terrorized Teen flick, with Carol Kane as the freaked-out babysitter at the wrong end of a telephone call. It continued, parodied, in 1996, with Scream. And now When a Stranger Calls is ba-a-a-a-c-k, in frightless form, updated for the age of anytime minutes and caller ID. Pulpy director Simon West appears much more excited about the Zen-ish architecture of the house in which Jill Johnson (Camilla Belle) is babysitting two sleeping lumps than about creating a useful sense of anxiety; perhaps he figures everyone has seen Scream anyhow. This leaves young Belle (The Ballad of Jack and Rose) to wander rooms aimlessly, and for the musicians and Foley artists to work feverishly pretending there’s reason for suspense.
(When a Stranger Calls: Suzanne Tenner)
Genre: Horror; Starring: Camilla Belle, Tommy Flanagan; Director: Simon West; Author: Jake Wade Wall; Release Date Wide: 02/03/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Screen Gems Inc.
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Arnold Schwarzenegger acts out his film career in 6 minutes with James Corden
- Ellen Albertini Dow, 'The Wedding Singer’s rapping grandmother, dies
- 'Django Unchained' actress pleads no contest to disturbing the peace
- Jimmy Fallon, Jack Black in Extreme makeover: Watch their 'More Than Words' tribute
- Jeremy Renner says he got in 'internet trouble' for Black Widow comment
- Ryan Gosling eats his cereal in tribute to late meme-creator
- Casting Net: Courtney Love, Timothy Hutton, Giancarlo Esposito join James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Gisele Bündchen, Patrick Dempsey, Rosamund Pike & More!