It began, in 1979, as a Terrorized Teen flick, with Carol Kane as the freaked-out babysitter at the wrong end of a telephone call. It continued, parodied, in 1996, with Scream. And now When a Stranger Calls is ba-a-a-a-c-k, in frightless form, updated for the age of anytime minutes and caller ID. Pulpy director Simon West appears much more excited about the Zen-ish architecture of the house in which Jill Johnson (Camilla Belle) is babysitting two sleeping lumps than about creating a useful sense of anxiety; perhaps he figures everyone has seen Scream anyhow. This leaves young Belle (The Ballad of Jack and Rose) to wander rooms aimlessly, and for the musicians and Foley artists to work feverishly pretending there’s reason for suspense.
(When a Stranger Calls: Suzanne Tenner)
Genre: Horror; Starring: Camilla Belle, Tommy Flanagan; Director: Simon West; Author: Jake Wade Wall; Release Date Wide: 02/03/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Screen Gems Inc.
Posted February 8 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Tatiana Maslany, Haley Joel Osment among cast for 'Locke & Key' audiobook
- Here's your best look yet at the very cool 'No Man's Sky'
- More exclusive images of Bruce Campbell in 'Ash vs Evil Dead'
- Audience member attempts to charge phone on stage at Broadway play
- Conan O'Brien on hosting his show from Comic-Con: 'Imagine 'Conan' bombarded by gamma rays'
- Dave Grohl covers Neil Young with members of Blind Melon and Pearl Jam
- 'Boulevard' director on working with Robin Williams: 'I couldn't have loved him more'
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Pippa Middleton, Ryan Reynolds, Jessica Alba & More!