Quentin Tarantino’s career arc from video-store clerk to adjective may be an inspiration, but it’s also an exception. It’s the passion of obsessives like Scotty Pelk (Melik Malkasian), the title character in the perceptively hilarious rock-bottom-budget indie comedy Film Geek, that supplies video outlets with a renewable workforce. James Westby’s loving and self-aware homage to mouth-breathing boys who worship Wong Kar-Wai and can’t talk to girls is the opposite of Tarantino-esque: It’s Westby-ish, interspersing settings of biting social oafishness with spasms of film knowledge. The movie has the unstyled swing of a cult pic in its no-frills production values. And in Malkasian, Westby finds a muse with Buster Keaton eyes. Scotty’s website gets no traffic, his lack of tact costs him his job, and his sex life is in his head, with assistance from his hand. But Westby never mocks or Napoleon Dynamites his hero; he even introduces Scotty to a chick (Tyler Gannon) arty enough to talk about David Cronenberg and decent enough not to be mean. Which, actually, makes her truly cool.
Film GeekQuentin Tarantino's career arc from video-store clerk to adjective may be an inspiration, but it's also an exception. It's the passion of obsessives like...Film GeekComedyJames WestbyPT72MUnratedQuentin Tarantino's career arc from video-store clerk to adjective may be an inspiration, but it's also an exception. It's the passion of obsessives like...2006-02-15Tyler GannonFirst Run Features
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Melik Malkasian, Tyler Gannon; Director: James Westby; Author: James Westby; Runtime (in minutes): 72; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: First Run Features
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'Walking Dead' star Tovah Feldshuh on Rick-Deanna showdown
- '12 Monkeys' exec producer: THAT Ramse arc 'planned from the first minute'
- Prince sued in recording battle over 'Voice' singer Judith Hill
- James Bond enters a 'hurricane' in first 'Spectre' teaser
- 'Legend of Zelda' for Wii U delayed
- Kit Harington fights terrorism in 'Spooks: The Greater Good' trailer
- Billie Joe Armstrong musical 'These Paper Bullets!' coming to LA, NYC
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Jimmy Fallon, Liv Tyler, Emilia Clarke & More!