As he did in Cod and Salt, Mark Kurlansky uses a foodstuff to tell a larger tale, in this case the depressing history of New York City’s befouled waterways, which once teemed with enormous, succulent oysters. Indeed, portions of the city are built on Indian oyster-shell middens, and as recently as a century ago, New Yorkers feasted on the cheap, plentiful bivalves, which were peddled from pushcarts and sold in all-you-can-eat oyster cellars. Kurlansky packs The Big Oyster with terrific anecdotes and vintage recipes that suggest the creature’s onetime abundance. (A mid-19th century recipe for pickled oysters begins: ”Take a hundred and fifty fine large oysters…”) But he is equally graphic in describing the pollution that put an end to all that. Only a handful of oysters survive in New York’s filthy waters, and those, Kurlansky notes, are unfit to eat.
The Big Oyster As he did in Cod and Salt, Mark Kurlansky uses a foodstuff to tell a larger tale, in this case the depressing history of New York...The Big OysterNonfictionMark Kurlansky As he did in Cod and Salt, Mark Kurlansky uses a foodstuff to tell a larger tale, in this case the depressing history of New York...2006-03-08Ballantine
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Mark Kurlansky; Publisher: Ballantine
Posted March 8 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' producers offer hints about the show's timeline
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Michael & Kate, Michelle Rodriguez, Joss Stone and More!