As he did in Cod and Salt, Mark Kurlansky uses a foodstuff to tell a larger tale, in this case the depressing history of New York City’s befouled waterways, which once teemed with enormous, succulent oysters. Indeed, portions of the city are built on Indian oyster-shell middens, and as recently as a century ago, New Yorkers feasted on the cheap, plentiful bivalves, which were peddled from pushcarts and sold in all-you-can-eat oyster cellars. Kurlansky packs The Big Oyster with terrific anecdotes and vintage recipes that suggest the creature’s onetime abundance. (A mid-19th century recipe for pickled oysters begins: ”Take a hundred and fifty fine large oysters…”) But he is equally graphic in describing the pollution that put an end to all that. Only a handful of oysters survive in New York’s filthy waters, and those, Kurlansky notes, are unfit to eat.
The Big Oyster As he did in Cod and Salt, Mark Kurlansky uses a foodstuff to tell a larger tale, in this case the depressing history of New York...The Big OysterNonfictionMark Kurlansky As he did in Cod and Salt, Mark Kurlansky uses a foodstuff to tell a larger tale, in this case the depressing history of New York...2006-03-08Ballantine
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Mark Kurlansky; Publisher: Ballantine
Posted March 8 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Les Miserables' actor Kyle-Jean Baptiste dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 5 best non-singles from Kanye West's 'Late Registration' on its 10th anniversary
- 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles talks season 11's female big bad
- See the Foo Fighters rock out with Blues Traveler's John Popper
- Hootie explains how he got name-checked in 'Mo Money Mo Problems'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!