The video for Four Day Hombre’s “The First Word is the Hardest,” the second single off their new album Experiment in Living (out March 13 in the U.K., but you can order it on Amazon.com), goes back to the days when videos actually told stories. A woman agrees to give an old man a ride after he falls from the sky and on to the hood of HER CAR! As they speed away from an unnamed “villain,” the old man (was it her father?) turns into a young man (her boyfriend?) and later into a young boy (her son?). Whispery vocals (think Chris Martin-esque), a slowly building melody, and the repeated lyric “I cannot help you” make this driving piece of Brit- rock memorable. Also take a listen to their “smash-your-head-into-the-wall” brilliant cover of Kate Bush’s “Running Up That Hill.”
Posted March 8 2006 — 10:30 PM EST
- 'La La Land' director on the 'timeless glamour' of Gosling & Stone
- 'Willy Wonka' costars pay tribute to Gene Wilder
- Should Ryan Lochte be allowed to compete in 'Dancing With the Stars'?
- 'Arrow' unveils new villain Prometheus in season 5 photos
- 'Doctor Who' star Karen Gillan cast in 'Jumanji'
- 'The Flash' debuts first look at Flashpoint
- Tim McGraw crashes wedding and sings 'My Little Girl'