Do fantasy baseball geeks need to get a life? To find out, Wall Street Journal sports columnist Sam Walker wangled his way into Tout Wars, ”the national championship of Rotisserie baseball.” There, he encountered true seamheads who accost players, consult astrologers, and devise complex stats like Base Performance Value (BPV) and Value Over Replacement Player (VORP) in order to gain a competitive edge. With his mordant wit (”Rotisserie baseball may be the most ridiculous duplication of effort in the history of human affairs”), Walker describes getting sucked into their mindset, obsessing over every pitch and kicking himself over botched deals, before finally admitting that ”baseball had become an extension of my ego.” The inhabitants of Fantasyland may seem pathetic…until some of them land consulting jobs with big-league clubs — a true case of revenge of the nerds.
Fantasyland Do fantasy baseball geeks need to get a life? To find out, Wall Street Journal sports columnist Sam Walker wangled his way into Tout Wars, '...FantasylandNonfictionSam Walker Do fantasy baseball geeks need to get a life? To find out, Wall Street Journal sports columnist Sam Walker wangled his way into Tout Wars, '...2006-03-08Viking
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Sam Walker; Publisher: Viking
Posted March 8 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Box office preview: 'Straight Outta Compton' set for third weekend at the top
- O.J. Simpson documentaries to air on A&E and LMN
- 'Grandfathered' enlists JoAnna Garcia Swisher
- Things look dark in trailer for Kristen Wiig's new movie 'Nasty Baby'
- Bill Murray earns his 20 percent in 'Rock the Kasbah' trailer
- Daniel Craig's go-to hangover cure is ...
- IFC postpones episode of 'Documentary Now!' in wake of WBDJ shooting
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Alison & Will, Julianne Hough, Rafael Nadal & More!