Do fantasy baseball geeks need to get a life? To find out, Wall Street Journal sports columnist Sam Walker wangled his way into Tout Wars, ”the national championship of Rotisserie baseball.” There, he encountered true seamheads who accost players, consult astrologers, and devise complex stats like Base Performance Value (BPV) and Value Over Replacement Player (VORP) in order to gain a competitive edge. With his mordant wit (”Rotisserie baseball may be the most ridiculous duplication of effort in the history of human affairs”), Walker describes getting sucked into their mindset, obsessing over every pitch and kicking himself over botched deals, before finally admitting that ”baseball had become an extension of my ego.” The inhabitants of Fantasyland may seem pathetic…until some of them land consulting jobs with big-league clubs — a true case of revenge of the nerds.
Fantasyland Do fantasy baseball geeks need to get a life? To find out, Wall Street Journal sports columnist Sam Walker wangled his way into Tout Wars, '...FantasylandNonfictionSam Walker Do fantasy baseball geeks need to get a life? To find out, Wall Street Journal sports columnist Sam Walker wangled his way into Tout Wars, '...2006-03-08Viking
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Sam Walker; Publisher: Viking
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'Scandal' sneak peek: How far will Olivia go to take down Rowan?
- Lauryn Hill cancels Israel show
- 'iZombie' exclusive clip: Liv tries to get Clive to open up about his love life
- The Strain: First season 2 trailer declares war on vamps
- 'Once Upon a Time' sneak peek: Snow White goes... evil?!
- 'Magic Mike XXL' drops 'Star Wars'-inspired poster
- 'Dancing with the Stars' celeb blog: Robert Herjavec on the trio dance, fans, and double elimination
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Gisele Bündchen, Patrick Dempsey, Rosamund Pike & More!