Do fantasy baseball geeks need to get a life? To find out, Wall Street Journal sports columnist Sam Walker wangled his way into Tout Wars, ”the national championship of Rotisserie baseball.” There, he encountered true seamheads who accost players, consult astrologers, and devise complex stats like Base Performance Value (BPV) and Value Over Replacement Player (VORP) in order to gain a competitive edge. With his mordant wit (”Rotisserie baseball may be the most ridiculous duplication of effort in the history of human affairs”), Walker describes getting sucked into their mindset, obsessing over every pitch and kicking himself over botched deals, before finally admitting that ”baseball had become an extension of my ego.” The inhabitants of Fantasyland may seem pathetic…until some of them land consulting jobs with big-league clubs — a true case of revenge of the nerds.
Fantasyland Do fantasy baseball geeks need to get a life? To find out, Wall Street Journal sports columnist Sam Walker wangled his way into Tout Wars, '...FantasylandNonfictionSam Walker Do fantasy baseball geeks need to get a life? To find out, Wall Street Journal sports columnist Sam Walker wangled his way into Tout Wars, '...2006-03-08Viking
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Sam Walker; Publisher: Viking
Posted March 8 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Wayward Pines' exec producer Chad Hodge's post-show dish: Why (SPOILER) had to die
- Casting Net: Gabrielle Union heading to Jamie Foxx action film 'Sleepless Night'
- 'The View' eyeing two new cohosts?
- 'The Help' director Tate Taylor to helm 'Girl on the Train'
- Pete Davidson live tweets his 'Harry Potter' marathon, gives 'dope as f---' review
- Reese Witherspoon as Tinker Bell: Disney developing 'Peter Pan' spinoff 'Tink'
- Molest claim vs. Josh Duggar; family says...
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- Kendall & Lily, Jon Bon Jovi, Chanel Iman and More!