Vegetarians and all others who might get queasy at 300-plus pages of shooting ram, crushing crawfish, and stuffing a half duck inside an antelope bladder might want to opt against cracking the binding of Outside writer Steven Rinella’s memoir, The Scavenger?s Guide to Haute Cuisine. As if possessed by legendary chef Auguste Escoffier, Rinella embarks on a year-long quest to hunt, gather, and scavenge in order to prepare the ultimate three-day Thanksgiving feast. There are moments of compelling storytelling, as when Rinella visits his dying father in Michigan, but the remainder of the book feels like a tediously detailed diary. No doubt Escoffier would appreciate the intricate details of cooking up bladders, snapping turtle, and something called ”caul fat,” but the rest of us might wish for better dinner conversation.
The Scavenger's Guide to Haute CuisineVegetarians and all others who might get queasy at 300-plus pages of shooting ram, crushing crawfish, and stuffing a half duck inside an antelope bladder...The Scavenger's Guide to Haute CuisineNonfictionSteven RinellaVegetarians and all others who might get queasy at 300-plus pages of shooting ram, crushing crawfish, and stuffing a half duck inside an antelope bladder...2006-03-08Miramax
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Steven Rinella; Publisher: Miramax
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Kit Harington fights terrorism in 'Spooks: The Greater Good' trailer
- Billie Joe Armstrong musical 'These Paper Bullets!' coming to LA, NYC
- 'It Follows': The story behind the score
- Nick Jonas talks hosting the 2015 Kids' Choice Awards, his new image and that Kanye West cover
- Ben Stiller's little-known punk rocker past comes to light
- 'Barely Lethal' R rating overturned
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!