A dual bio about two of sports’ biggest blowhards — Muhammad Ali and Howard Cosell — might have KO’ed best-seller lists as an oral history. Veteran sports scribe Dave Kindred instead delivers a ringside history of how these two egos came to rule their respective games. Nasal know-it-all broadcaster Cosell was the Simon Cowell of his day, widely reviled but also must-see TV. Ali was a heavyweight champ, militant Muslim, war resister, street poet, and civil rights icon all in one. Kindred believes that through their televised repartee, each amplified the other’s fame while representing and hastening the nation’s growing cultural pluralism. Yet for all their shared bluster on screen, the two had virtually no relationship off it, undercutting Kindred’s attempts to posit larger themes. (An Ali associate even asks Kindred, ”What’s Cosell doing in your book?”) Still, he at least produces two solid biographies for the price of one in Sound and Fury.
Sound and Fury A dual bio about two of sports' biggest blowhards — Muhammad Ali and Howard Cosell — might have KO'ed best-seller lists as an oral history....Sound and FuryBiography, SportsDave Kindred A dual bio about two of sports' biggest blowhards — Muhammad Ali and Howard Cosell — might have KO'ed best-seller lists as an oral history....2006-03-08The Free Press
Genre: Biography, Sports; Author: Dave Kindred; Publisher: The Free Press
Posted March 8 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!