Futuristic vamp Violet (Milla Jovovich), in the early goings of the lo-fi sci-fi thriller Ultraviolet, warns someone, ”Don’t overthink it.” Sage advice for anyone masochistic enough to watch this pile of poorly pixelated vampire poo. Yet it’s impossible to take: Crank your brain to its lowest possible idle and you’ll still overthink Ultraviolet. Set in a generic, crudely rendered futuristic dystopia (the computer imagery is sub-Tron), the story picks up in jabbery voice-over, telling how the military, while trying to build supersoldiers, made a vampire virus instead, then launched a genocide to correct its mistake. The Big Bad is one Vice Cardinal Daxus (Nick Chinlund), a germophobe with tea strainers up his nose. Violet’s a freelance member of the ”Hemophage” resistance who dispatches legions of faceless evildoers to bloodless, badly choreographed deaths, changes her hair color at will, all but refuses to wear entire shirts, and engages in conversations like this: ”He’s not dead!” ”What do you mean?” ”I mean he’s alive!” At least she’s not overthinking it.
(Ultraviolet: Jay Maidment)
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Milla Jovovich, Cameron Bright, Nick Chinlund; Director: Kurt Wimmer; Author: Kurt Wimmer; Release Date Wide: 03/03/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 87; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Screen Gems Inc.
Posted March 8 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!