Futuristic vamp Violet (Milla Jovovich), in the early goings of the lo-fi sci-fi thriller Ultraviolet, warns someone, ”Don’t overthink it.” Sage advice for anyone masochistic enough to watch this pile of poorly pixelated vampire poo. Yet it’s impossible to take: Crank your brain to its lowest possible idle and you’ll still overthink Ultraviolet. Set in a generic, crudely rendered futuristic dystopia (the computer imagery is sub-Tron), the story picks up in jabbery voice-over, telling how the military, while trying to build supersoldiers, made a vampire virus instead, then launched a genocide to correct its mistake. The Big Bad is one Vice Cardinal Daxus (Nick Chinlund), a germophobe with tea strainers up his nose. Violet’s a freelance member of the ”Hemophage” resistance who dispatches legions of faceless evildoers to bloodless, badly choreographed deaths, changes her hair color at will, all but refuses to wear entire shirts, and engages in conversations like this: ”He’s not dead!” ”What do you mean?” ”I mean he’s alive!” At least she’s not overthinking it.
(Ultraviolet: Jay Maidment)
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Milla Jovovich, Cameron Bright, Nick Chinlund; Director: Kurt Wimmer; Author: Kurt Wimmer; Release Date Wide: 03/03/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 87; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Screen Gems Inc.
Posted March 8 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Vikings' shocker: Creator Michael Hirst talks the death of [spoiler]
- 'Vikings' kills again: A talk with the departing actor
- Casting Net: Viola Davis, Catalina Sandino Moreno star in 'Custody'
- Obama talks 'The Wire' with David Simon
- Warner Bros wins bid for rights to viral 'Sundays' short
- Oscar producers Meron, Zadan moving on
- Craig T. Nelson back as Hayden Fox in NBC 'Coach' revival
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!