Doubt — John Patrick Shanley’s Pulitzer Prize winner about a priest, a nun, and an accusation — is a shrewdly structured sermon on a subject that defies structure and sermonizing. With Defiance, Shanley again applies slippery rationality to the Foggy Inexorable. This time, the result is more fog. On a North Carolina Marine base in 1971, a crusading colonel (Stephen Lang, stentorian and stilted) tries to ease racial tension with the help of a reluctant black captain (Chris Chalk). When a snaky Baptist chaplain (Chris Bauer) feels out both men’s flaws, big ideas like Duty, Values, and God crowd the stage — and shove the characters roughly into the wings.
Defiance Doubt — John Patrick Shanley's Pulitzer Prize winner about a priest, a nun, and an accusation — is a shrewdly structured sermon on...DefianceJohn Patrick Shanley Doubt — John Patrick Shanley's Pulitzer Prize winner about a priest, a nun, and an accusation — is a shrewdly structured sermon on...2006-03-10
Starring: Chris Bauer, Stephen Lang; Director: John Patrick Shanley; Author: John Patrick Shanley; Opening Date: 02/28/2006
Posted March 10 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'The Death of "Superman Lives": What Happened?' clip: What killed the '90s superhero project?
- Prince releases surprise track, 'HARDROCKLOVER'
- Iggy Azalea calls out sexist media after Britney Spears tweets
- See the explosive teaser trailer for 'London Has Fallen'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead': 3 new photos with inside scoop from showrunner
- Everything you need to know about EW's Comic-Con 2015 coverage
- 'Tank Girl' director to helm 'Doctor Who' season finale
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files': David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Lupita Nyong'o, Amber Heard, Rosario Dawson & More!