Interesting characters don’t always get the stories they deserve. To wit, Melford Keane, the ”Ethical Assassin” of the title, a post-Marxist vegan hitman with a passion for animal rights, a penchant for philosophizing about ”the way in which culture produces the illusion of normative reality,” and a morally dubious only-kill-people-who-deserve-it policy. Alas, this bleeding-heart vigilante is but a supporting player in a twisty yet familiar caper about a young door-to-door book salesman who gets messed up with a vicious crank-dealing conspiracy in a trailer-trash Florida backwater. You get the sense that a first-rate writer (David Liss) has made the mistake of falling in love with a mishmash of second-rate ideas. In the process, a clever character gets stranded in a swamp of silly Southern stereotypes and semi-lurid pulp.
The Ethical Assassin Interesting characters don't always get the stories they deserve. To wit, Melford Keane, the ''Ethical Assassin'' of the title, a post...The Ethical AssassinFiction, Mystery and ThrillerDavid Liss Interesting characters don't always get the stories they deserve. To wit, Melford Keane, the ''Ethical Assassin'' of the title, a post...2006-03-10Ballantine
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: David Liss; Publisher: Ballantine
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More