When a character actor dies, you often look at his picture in the newspaper and say, ”Oh, yeah — I know that guy…he was in tons of stuff.” But sometimes you have a special memory — not a showy star turn, but a scene that just sticks with you. Richard Bright, who died at age 68 when a New York City bus struck him on Feb. 18, conjures one such vivid moment. It’s in Sam Peckinpah’s The Getaway. The film’s antiheroes, robber Steve McQueen and his gal Ali MacGraw, leave a satchel filled with money in a train station locker, and Bright’s petty grifter (I doubt he has more than a couple of lines) steals the satchel out of habit, not knowing it contains a small fortune. He gets on a train and as it chugs out of the station, Bright opens the bag and sees stacks and stacks of cash. Now, this is great acting: Bright stares wordlessly at the money, not believing his luck, and his eyes start to glisten — you can’t tell whether he’s going to whoop with joy or cry. Instead, all he does is slam the satchel shut, pull it onto his lap, and he hugs that bag, looking out the train window and smiling. Of course, a few minutes later, McQueen will find him, sit down next to him, elbow-punch him in the face, and leave with the satchel; we barely see Bright again. But I’ll always see Bright in my mind, so criminally happy.
Posted March 10 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Casting Net: Mad Men star Jessica Pare cast in Lovesick
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' star Amanda Peterson's cause of death was an overdose
- Sony reaches settlement in hacking lawsuits
- Stephen Colbert counters Jeb Bush's 'Late Show' raffle with his own contest
- On the set of 'American Horror Story: Hotel': A foursome with Lady Gaga and Matt Bomer
- Steven Spielberg’s DreamWorks could leave Disney next year
- 'Jack Reacher 2' starring Tom Cruise gets a release date
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!