In Rousseau’s Dog, a delicious little history, David Edmonds and John Eidinow (Wittgenstein’s Poker) dish up a juicy account of the feud between 18th-century philosophers Jean-Jacques Rousseau and David Hume. Titans of the Enlightenment, the two fell out when, on scant evidence, the fiery and paranoid Rousseau — ”the philosopher of human misery” — accused the mild-mannered Hume of secretly undermining him. Hume, worried about his reputation, responded by publishing a vindictive pamphlet that made Hume himself look worse than anything Rousseau could have dreamed up. The bizarre, very public spat — nasty, personal, and unbelievably petty — would make Paris and Nicole blush.
Rousseau's Dog In Rousseau's Dog, a delicious little history, David Edmonds and John Eidinow (Wittgenstein's Poker) dish up a juicy account...Rousseau's DogNonfictionDavid Edmonds, John Eidinow In Rousseau's Dog, a delicious little history, David Edmonds and John Eidinow (Wittgenstein's Poker) dish up a juicy account...2006-03-10Ecco Press
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: David Edmonds, John Eidinow; Publisher: Ecco Press
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' earns $187.7M at weekend box office, second-best U.S. debut ever
- Spice Girls reunite at David Beckham's birthday
- 'Dances With Wolves' writer Michael Blake dies
- Jamie Foxx's National Anthem at Mayweather-Pacquiao fight: You be the judge
- 'Orphan Black' bosses on 'an interesting revelation for us'
- 'SNL': How'd Scarlett Johansson and Wiz Khalifa do?
- 'Scandal' panel: 5 best moments, season finale teases
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Kerry Washington, Plus Gwen Stefani, the Spelling-McDermott Family & More!