Not that anyone expected Sunday’s Sopranos premiere to knock Desperate Housewives off its perch, but they did some damage to each other. Sopranos has never had much competition before in its 9 p.m. Sunday slot, but this year, it debuted with an estimated 9.5 million, down about 25 percent from the Season 5 premiere two years ago. In the other corner, Housewives drew 22.2 million, its smallest audience in more than a year, and about a million less than the last new episode three weeks ago. The real winner Sunday was Housewives’ follow-up, Grey’s Anatomy, which drew 22.5 million. It’s been outdrawing its lead-in for a few weeks now. Tail is now officially wagging dog.
Posted March 14 2006 — 8:55 PM EST
- See the moving first trailer for 'A United Kingdom'
- Jimmy Kimmel parodies celebrity informercials with Death Alert
- 'Stranger Things': Funko possibly developing figure based on Eleven
- WATCH: Meg Ryan's 'Ithaca' grapples with families torn apart by war
- Conan O'Brien's Trump parody ad vows to 'Make America Grape Again'
- Parent dresses napping baby as Jon Snow, Eleven from 'Stranger Things'
- 'Breaking Bad' actor calls for more people with disabilities in Hollywood
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...