Not that anyone expected Sunday’s Sopranos premiere to knock Desperate Housewives off its perch, but they did some damage to each other. Sopranos has never had much competition before in its 9 p.m. Sunday slot, but this year, it debuted with an estimated 9.5 million, down about 25 percent from the Season 5 premiere two years ago. In the other corner, Housewives drew 22.2 million, its smallest audience in more than a year, and about a million less than the last new episode three weeks ago. The real winner Sunday was Housewives’ follow-up, Grey’s Anatomy, which drew 22.5 million. It’s been outdrawing its lead-in for a few weeks now. Tail is now officially wagging dog.
Posted March 14 2006 — 8:55 PM EST
- Stephen Colbert meets Mitt Romney in new 'Late Show' promo
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' animated series delves into Star-Lord's origins
- Listen to this gorgeous harp cover of Taylor Swift’s ‘Style’
- See Michael B. Jordan and Kate Mara handle awkward 'Fantastic Four' interview
- Lady Gaga gave Tony Bennett an enormous cake for his 89th birthday
- See Olivia Munn show off some serious Psylocke fighting skills
- Patrick Stewart really, really wants to join Taylor Swift’s squad
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Sam Smith, Channing Tatum, Gwyneth Paltrow and More!