If you’re married to an abusive husband, you should leave the bastard and take refuge with someone you trust. Pilar (Laia Marull), the battered wife at the center of the Spanish film Take My Eyes, does all of this in the opening scene, which leads you to wonder what the film could possibly have left to explore about her relationship with that husband, Antonio (Luis Tosar), a beady-eyed refrigerator salesman who acts out his corroded self-esteem by treating her like dirt. When he talks Pilar into coming back, their marriage is shown to have another side — sexy, even tender — but the tenderness never lasts; Antonio may be a good lover, but his defining feature is his short fuse. If Take My Eyes explored how a woman could still feel for a man who abused her, it might have gripped us with its difficult truths. But the movie presents Pilar and Antonio’s marriage as a stale, neurotic dead end. All we can do is root for her to leave him and scratch our heads in disbelief when she doesn’t.
Take My EyesIf you're married to an abusive husband, you should leave the bastard and take refuge with someone you trust. Pilar (Laia Marull), the battered wife at...Take My EyesIf you're married to an abusive husband, you should leave the bastard and take refuge with someone you trust. Pilar (Laia Marull), the battered wife at...2006-03-15Candela PenaLuis Tosar
Starring: Laia Marull; Starring: Candela Pena, Luis Tosar; Director: Iciar Bollain; Release Date Limited: 03/17/2006
Posted March 15 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer speaks out!
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer revealed! What's next?
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!