If you’re married to an abusive husband, you should leave the bastard and take refuge with someone you trust. Pilar (Laia Marull), the battered wife at the center of the Spanish film Take My Eyes, does all of this in the opening scene, which leads you to wonder what the film could possibly have left to explore about her relationship with that husband, Antonio (Luis Tosar), a beady-eyed refrigerator salesman who acts out his corroded self-esteem by treating her like dirt. When he talks Pilar into coming back, their marriage is shown to have another side — sexy, even tender — but the tenderness never lasts; Antonio may be a good lover, but his defining feature is his short fuse. If Take My Eyes explored how a woman could still feel for a man who abused her, it might have gripped us with its difficult truths. But the movie presents Pilar and Antonio’s marriage as a stale, neurotic dead end. All we can do is root for her to leave him and scratch our heads in disbelief when she doesn’t.
Take My EyesIf you're married to an abusive husband, you should leave the bastard and take refuge with someone you trust. Pilar (Laia Marull), the battered wife at...Take My EyesIf you're married to an abusive husband, you should leave the bastard and take refuge with someone you trust. Pilar (Laia Marull), the battered wife at...2006-03-15Candela PenaLuis Tosar
Starring: Laia Marull; Starring: Candela Pena, Luis Tosar; Director: Iciar Bollain
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More