Our collective fascination with the minds of serial killers has, over the last few years, yielded a handful of queasy and accomplished small films reenacting the mayhem and madness of Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy, and Charles Manson. So as I sat down to watch The Zodiac, a low-budget dramatization of the hunt for the Zodiac Killer, who famously terrorized the San Francisco area in the late ’60s (he was never apprehended), I assumed that the movie would filter this legendary case through a lens of forensic sophistication befitting the clinical-gothic era of CSI, the Lecter films, America’s Most Wanted, and so on. But no. The Zodiac has been made with the dunderheaded flatness of bad ’70s TV. The killer is nothing more than an anonymous stalker glimpsed in the shadows, the actors playing cops and reporters throw soap-opera fits, and the movie is so utterly desperate for a ”normal” angle that the principal detective (Justin Chambers), in unraveling the killer’s pattern, is two steps behind his wife (Robin Tunney) and wide-eyed son (Rory Culkin).
The ZodiacOur collective fascination with the minds of serial killers has, over the last few years, yielded a handful of queasy and accomplished small films...The ZodiacMystery and ThrillerUnratedOur collective fascination with the minds of serial killers has, over the last few years, yielded a handful of queasy and accomplished small films...2006-03-22THINKFilm
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Justin Chambers, Rory Culkin, Philip Baker Hall, Robin Tunney; Director: Alexander Bulkley; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: THINKFilm
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- '12 Monkeys' exec producer: THAT Ramse arc 'planned from the first minute'
- Prince sued in recording battle over 'Voice' singer Judith Hill
- James Bond enters a 'hurricane' in first 'Spectre' teaser
- 'Legend of Zelda' for Wii U delayed
- Kit Harington fights terrorism in 'Spooks: The Greater Good' trailer
- Billie Joe Armstrong musical 'These Paper Bullets!' coming to LA, NYC
- 'It Follows': The story behind the score
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!