Our collective fascination with the minds of serial killers has, over the last few years, yielded a handful of queasy and accomplished small films reenacting the mayhem and madness of Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy, and Charles Manson. So as I sat down to watch The Zodiac, a low-budget dramatization of the hunt for the Zodiac Killer, who famously terrorized the San Francisco area in the late ’60s (he was never apprehended), I assumed that the movie would filter this legendary case through a lens of forensic sophistication befitting the clinical-gothic era of CSI, the Lecter films, America’s Most Wanted, and so on. But no. The Zodiac has been made with the dunderheaded flatness of bad ’70s TV. The killer is nothing more than an anonymous stalker glimpsed in the shadows, the actors playing cops and reporters throw soap-opera fits, and the movie is so utterly desperate for a ”normal” angle that the principal detective (Justin Chambers), in unraveling the killer’s pattern, is two steps behind his wife (Robin Tunney) and wide-eyed son (Rory Culkin).
The ZodiacOur collective fascination with the minds of serial killers has, over the last few years, yielded a handful of queasy and accomplished small films...The ZodiacMystery and ThrillerUnratedOur collective fascination with the minds of serial killers has, over the last few years, yielded a handful of queasy and accomplished small films...2006-03-22THINKFilm
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Justin Chambers, Rory Culkin, Philip Baker Hall, Robin Tunney; Director: Alexander Bulkley; Release Date Limited: 03/17/2006; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: THINKFilm
Posted March 22 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Rooney Mara helps Rio kids in new 'Trash' trailer
- What's expiring on Netflix in September
- Neve Campbell 'devastated' by Wes Craven's death
- 'Faking It' boss previews season 2B: New faces, dynamics, and that upcoming Karmy kiss
- Andy Grammer joins 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Liam Hemsworth to guest star on ABC's 'The Muppets'
- The Pretenders' Chrissie Hynde criticized for victim-blaming comments
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!