Misogyny, murder, mommy issues — all fodder for comedy in the hands of gleefully perverse playwright Joe Orton. And for laughs per minute, you can’t beat this tissue-thin Roundabout Theatre Company revival of the 1964 satire. Erstwhile O.C. hunk Chris Carmack (as the landlady-shagging Sloane), Jan Maxwell (horny hausfrau Kath), Alec Baldwin (Kat’s, ahem, bachelor brother), and Richard Easton (the senile patriarch) all make the most of Orton’s ribald humor, if not his trademark nihilism. For true grit, look to Allen Moyer’s set, a terrifically tattered London-area flat that’s as inviting as it is off-putting. Much like Orton’s entire oeuvre. (Tickets: Call 212-719-1300, or visit Roundabout Theatre's website)
Starring: Alec Baldwin, Chris Carmack, Richard Easton, Jan Maxwell; Director: Scott Ellis; Author: Joe Orton; Opening Date: 03/16/2006
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More