Long before Sex and the City, Stephen Sondheim’s 1970 musical explored New Yorkers’ mating rituals through the eyes of Bobby (a wonderfully deadpan Raúl Esparza), a 35-year-old commitment-phobe surrounded by happy loving couples. As he did in Broadway’s current Sweeney Todd revival, British director John Doyle casts triple threats who sing, act, and play all the instruments. The show runs like a greyhound: sleek and elegant, without any wasted movement. The talented cast — charming from top to bottom — uses Sondheim’s chromatic lyricism to paint a complicated, compelling portrait of modern relationships, making this Company a most welcome visitor. (513-421-3888)
Company Long before Sex and the City, Stephen Sondheim's 1970 musical explored New Yorkers' mating rituals through the eyes of Bobby (a wonderfully ...CompanyStephen Sondheim Long before Sex and the City, Stephen Sondheim's 1970 musical explored New Yorkers' mating rituals through the eyes of Bobby (a wonderfully ...2006-03-24
Starring: Raul Esparza; Director: John Doyle; Author: Stephen Sondheim; Opening Date: 03/14/2006
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller, Kate & Kate and More!