Almost everyone in this Strip abridgment is doing a fair-to-wan imitation of the original Broadway cast…save Tony winners Harvey Fierstein and Dick Latessa, who have gone west. Though the energy of the NYC production is diffused, this celebration of ’60s girl-pop and girth doesn’t suffer fatally from getting its tummy tucked to an intermissionless 90 minutes. The producers probably had to open Fort Knox to get Fierstein to shave and do drag again, but he’s worth every penny: When he and Latessa sing their duet of codger love, ”(You’re) Timeless to Me,” you’ll forget all about 30-story pyramids and believe you’re in the Catskills. (800-557-7428)
Hairspray (Stage - 2006) Almost everyone in this Strip abridgment is doing a fair-to-wan imitation of the original Broadway cast...save Tony winners Harvey Fierstein and Dick...Hairspray (Stage - 2006)Thomas Meehan, Scott Wittman Almost everyone in this Strip abridgment is doing a fair-to-wan imitation of the original Broadway cast...save Tony winners Harvey Fierstein and Dick...2006-03-24Dick Latessa
Starring: Katrina Rose Dideriksen, Harvey Fierstein; Starring: Dick Latessa; Director: Jack O'Brien; Author: Thomas Meehan, Scott Wittman; Opening Date: 02/15/2006
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Play 'Pac-Man' around the world in Google Maps
- Showtime renews 'House of Lies' for fifth season
- Linda Lavin to return to Broadway in 'Our Mother's Brief Affair'
- Fox's 'Weird Loners' aren't quite weird or lonely enough
- 'Arrow'-'Flash' spinoff's role for Caity Lotz? Let's theorize...
- Beastie Boys' Adam Horovitz gives relationship advice in 'Ask a Grown Man'
- 'Ellen,' 'GH' lead Daytime Emmy noms
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!