A picture is worth a thousand words in director Rob Marshall’s film adaptation of Arthur Golden’s best-selling novel about Sayuri (Ziyi Zhang), a 1930s Japanese Cinderella-turned-courtesan. Memoirs of a Geisha’s visual exquisiteness was rewarded at the Academy Awards — with Oscars for art direction, costumes, and cinematography — but with its soap-operatic plot, the film falls short of epic. And, unfortunately, on the small screen even its beauty loses impact. EXTRAS The best of the 11 featurettes includes interviews with former geisha/film consultant Liza Dalby and the actresses, who had to endure training in gruelingly complex fan tricks and other esoteric skills, in ”Geisha Boot Camp.” Designers explain how they built an entire town without a single greenscreen. And Chef Nobu Matsuhisa — the self-proclaimed ”Codfather” — invites viewers into his kitchen, where he cooks new-style sashimi, black cod with miso sauce, and mushroom toban yaki, and provides recipes, too. Iron Chef, watch your back!
(MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA: David James)
Genre: Romance; Starring: Ken Watanabe, Ziyi Zhang, Gong Li, Michelle Yeoh; Director: Rob Marshall; Author: Doug Wright; Producer (person): Steven Spielberg; Release Date Limited: 12/09/2005; Release Date Wide: 12/23/2005; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 144; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Sony Pictures Entertainment
Posted March 28 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Mission: Impossible — Rogue Nation': What are the critics saying?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Michael & Kate, Michelle Rodriguez, Joss Stone and More!