The eager, chatty debut of Craig Ferguson (eager, chatty host of CBS’ Late Late Show) is a diverting-enough pseudo-philosophical spazz-out. Between the Bridge and the River traces four far-flung characters — dying Glaswegian George, his old friend Fraser (now a sex-addicted televangelist), monstrous Hollywood mogul Saul, and Saul’s irresistible half-brother Leon, secret spawn of Frank Sinatra — on randy, multitrajectoried quests for enlightenment. The quartet treads toward a cosmically intertwined awakening via the dark paths of the collective unconscious (Jung shows up — in drag!), but Ferguson’s story is half-conscious and digressive, like some bright but blotto cocktail-party raconteur. This ripping trip to nowhere heads vaguely west (”as is traditional for Scotsmen in search of a solution”) and terminates in too-easy Hollywood potshots (e.g., a celebrity swindle-cult called Brainyism) that the nimble-penned but underdisciplined Ferguson has no doubt been storing in the bottom drawer of his Late Late desk.
Between the Bridge and the River The eager, chatty debut of Craig Ferguson (eager, chatty host of CBS' Late Late Show) is a diverting-enough pseudo-philosophical spazz-out. ...Between the Bridge and the RiverFictionCraig Ferguson The eager, chatty debut of Craig Ferguson (eager, chatty host of CBS' Late Late Show) is a diverting-enough pseudo-philosophical spazz-out. ...2006-03-29
Genre: Fiction; Author: Craig Ferguson
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!