A Death in Vienna has a keen eye for the upper-crust pleasures of turn-of-the-20th-century Vienna; meticulous detail on psychoanalysis’ origins, including a cameo by cigar-chomping Sigmund Freud; and one corker of a mystery: In a room locked from the inside, cops find a psychic’s body, shot in the chest, no bullet or gun to be found. Pragmatic psychoanalyst Max Liebermann, who’s brought into the investigation, is a superb, though derivative, creation, equal parts Freud, Sherlock Holmes, and Patrick O’Brian’s Stephen Maturin. Despite some deliciously purple prose (”?the moribund sky, a canopy of charcoal and pepper clouds?”), Frank Tallis, a clinical psychologist best known for his love-is-a-mental-illness tome Love Sick, stuffs three more extraneous subplots into his final chapters, then races to tie everything into a too-tidy bow.
A Death in ViennaA Death in Vienna has a keen eye for the upper-crust pleasures of turn-of-the-20th-century Vienna; meticulous detail on psychoanalysis'...A Death in ViennaMystery and Thriller, FictionFrank TallisA Death in Vienna has a keen eye for the upper-crust pleasures of turn-of-the-20th-century Vienna; meticulous detail on psychoanalysis'...2006-03-29Grove Press
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Fiction; Author: Frank Tallis; Publisher: Grove Press
Posted March 29 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on why the judges 'floored' him this week
- Christina Applegate is a terrible Meryl Streep in Funny or Die's Lifetime spoof
- Wrestling legend Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka charged in 1983 murder
- Meet Denise, Kermit the Frog's new love interest
- And the Oscar producing gig goes to...
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!