The Devil and Daniel Johnston is a fascinating and lovingly crafted musical documentary that nevertheless misunderstands its own subject. In the 1980s, Daniel Johnston was a creative young geek with a history of mental problems (he was diagnosed as manic-depressive) who found a cult niche with his warbly, faux-childlike, sub?Jonathan Richman ditties. He gave out homemade cassettes, often rerecording an entire tape for each potential fan — not because he wanted to, but because he didn’t know how to dub. His moonstruck lyrics, mingled with his lack of technique and aura of damaged innocence, helped make him a mascot for the ”outsider” validity of indie rock, but The Devil and Daniel Johnston presents this haunted footnote as if he were a lost-boy genius on a par with Brian Wilson or the Beatles. That may, of course, be what his fans think, but the bad joke of the movie is that we see Johnston turn himself into a Gen-X icon by merging his open-mike-night novelty act with an unadulterated lust for fame. He’s the Chauncey Gardiner of indie rock — a mirror of his audience’s I-can-be-a-star-too narcissism — and the movie’s infuriating intrigue is that it all but begs us to turn ourselves into groupies to watch it.
(Devil and Daniel Johnston: Jeff Feuerzeig)
Genre: Documentary; Director: Jeff Feuerzeig; Author: Jeff Feuerzeig; Release Date Limited: 03/31/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 110; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted March 29 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Queen of Katwe' story inspired Alicia Keys to write a new song
- Sebastian Stan joins Steven Soderbergh's heist film 'Logan Lucky'
- Three Rounds: Sunday Funday with the cast of 'You're the Worst'
- Teyana Taylor, star of Kanye West's 'Fade' video, cast in VH1's 'The Breaks'
- 'Phantasm: Remastered' poster: The Tall Man gets a grip
- WATCH: Here's your exclusive first look at 'Project Runway' season 15
- Marvel Tsum Tsums go from plush to digital in new mobile game
- 11 of the Best 'Mister Rogers' Neighborhood' Guest Stars
- 'Easy': 12 Exclusive First Look Photos
- First Look: Jyn Erso Toys from 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story'
- Darth Vader, Voldemort, and 7 Other Pop Culture Comparisons to Donald Trump
- Celebrity Professors: See Stars Who Make the Grade
- 55 Books to Read This Fall