This book is for anyone who’s read one of Patrick O’Brian’s 19th-century-set naval adventures and mused: You know what would make this better? Dragons. Will Laurence, captain of the HMS Reliant during the Napoleonic Wars, defeats a French ship on the open sea and takes possession of its treasure: a dragon egg. This seemingly small event sends Laurence’s life into turmoil: a resignation of his command, induction into Britain’s Aerial Corps, and an unbreakable bond with Temeraire, the mysterious, intelligent beast that has chosen Laurence as his captain. What could’ve easily been a D&D-inspired mess is, in Naomi Novik’s hands, a completely authentic tale, brimming with all the detail and richness one looks for in military yarns as well as the impossible wonder of gilded fantasy.
Posted March 29 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Tyrant' renewed for season 3
- AMC renews 'Halt and Catch Fire' for third season
- The 10 most influential pop culture moments since 1990
- 'Nashville': Lennon and Maisy on 'How Can I Help You Say Goodbye'
- Matt Bomer dishes on getting naked for 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'Wolf by Wolf' author Ryan Graudin shares an excerpt and reveals plans for a sequel -- exclusive
- See how special effects helped bring 'Sicario' to life