This book is for anyone who’s read one of Patrick O’Brian’s 19th-century-set naval adventures and mused: You know what would make this better? Dragons. Will Laurence, captain of the HMS Reliant during the Napoleonic Wars, defeats a French ship on the open sea and takes possession of its treasure: a dragon egg. This seemingly small event sends Laurence’s life into turmoil: a resignation of his command, induction into Britain’s Aerial Corps, and an unbreakable bond with Temeraire, the mysterious, intelligent beast that has chosen Laurence as his captain. What could’ve easily been a D&D-inspired mess is, in Naomi Novik’s hands, a completely authentic tale, brimming with all the detail and richness one looks for in military yarns as well as the impossible wonder of gilded fantasy.
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Check out a preview of David Duchovny's solo album, 'Hell or Highwater'
- 'New Girl' renewed for season 5
- iLoveMakonnen drops new mixtape 'Drink More Water 5'
- 'Survivor: Worlds Apart' player Shirin tells all
- 'Empire' is TV's hottest new hit. So how does it stay on top?
- Jay Z on epic Tidal rlaunch: 'We're in this for the right reasons'
- Marilynne Robinson expanding Gilead trilogy: 'People should be prepared to say 'quartet''
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!