As a young college student in 1964, novelist Michael Mewshaw was emotionally scarred when his pregnant girlfriend put her baby up for adoption. Three decades later, a young woman who may (or may not) be his daughter turns up, reopening those old wounds. The biological mother, now a prominent Republican, is less eager to revisit her past, but that doesn’t prevent Mewshaw from dragging her into his catharsis. If You Could See Me Now begins as a complex study of adoption but turns into a bitter harangue that includes a bevy of clues so that any reader with a library card can easily determine the mother’s identity. He’s crafted the anti-Rashomon, an intricate story told solely from a singular perspective that fascinates most as a character study of Mewshaw himself.
If You Could See Me Now As a young college student in 1964, novelist Michael Mewshaw was emotionally scarred when his pregnant girlfriend put her baby up for adoption. Three ...If You Could See Me NowNonfictionMichael Mewshaw As a young college student in 1964, novelist Michael Mewshaw was emotionally scarred when his pregnant girlfriend put her baby up for adoption. Three ...2006-03-29Unbridled
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Michael Mewshaw; Publisher: Unbridled
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!