Had Meg Cabot let the whimsical The Princess Diaries progress chronologically after its 2000 debut, HRH Mia Thermopolis might now be partying at a college kegger. Thankfully, in the series’ seventh volume, Mia is only a New York high school sophomore, gamely struggling through puberty while balancing her obligations as Genovian royalty. Also returning is Princess’ best character: Mia’s unrepentant drinking ‘n’ smoking Grandmère, who blackmails the financially strapped Mia into starring in a musical retelling of Genovia’s history called Braid! after Mia inadvertently bankrupts her student government. Despite the excessive pop-culture name-dropping (Ellen and Portia, Will and Jada, Jay-Z and Beyoncé), Cabot adroitly interweaves comic absurdity (Mia’s letters to Carl Jung) with weightier topics (Mia’s pal Lilly copes with her parents’ marital woes) in a topsy-turvy mix that recalls adolescence itself.
Party Princess Had Meg Cabot let the whimsical The Princess Diaries progress chronologically after its 2000 debut, HRH Mia Thermopolis might now be partying...Party PrincessFictionMeg Cabot Had Meg Cabot let the whimsical The Princess Diaries progress chronologically after its 2000 debut, HRH Mia Thermopolis might now be partying...2006-03-29HarperCollins
Genre: Fiction; Author: Meg Cabot; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted March 29 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer revealed! What's next?
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer speaks out!
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!